Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Thoeris/Tawaret amulet--dating?  (Read 2246 times)

Offline Equity

• Consul
Thoeris/Tawaret amulet--dating?
« on: September 24, 2014, 03:39:34 am »
Hello Egyptian antiquarians,

I purchased this faience amulet depicting the (possibly pregnant) hippopotamus-like goddess Taweret/Thoeris a while ago. An impulse purchase, inspired by a visit to the Rosicrucian museum in San Jose (highly recommended), which seems to have hundreds of similar examples. These objects were apparently produced in large quantities, possibly for ancient tourists.

I have absolutely no experience with these objects, and would very much appreciate opinions as to which era it might originate from, or a pointer to a good reference on the topic. Perhaps Ptolemaic rather than any earlier?

Would "A Catalogue of Egyptian Scarabs Scaraboids, Seals and Amulets in the Palestine Archeological Museum. Cairo 1936" by Rowe be the most appropriate reference?

Thanks!
Derek
Ars longa, vita brevis, occasio praeceps, experimentum periculosum, iudicium difficile.

Offline Pekka K

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...
Re: Thoeris/Tawaret amulet--dating?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2014, 04:25:50 am »
Flinders Petrie 236y, calls this: Taurt "The Great One"

Pekka K

edit: dated XXVI dynasty

Offline Equity

• Consul
Re: Thoeris/Tawaret amulet--dating?
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2014, 04:41:07 am »
Thank you Pekka. Very helpful--I located a copy of Flinders Petrie's "Amulets" at the internet archive here:
https://archive.org/details/amuletsa00petrrich

236y does indeed seem very close, here's an excerpt:
Name. Taurt.
Meaning. "The great one," the goddess of pregnancy. Varieties. A, flat. B, round. C, double.
Period. A,VI to XVIII. B,XVIII to Ptolemaic.
236y 2, 8, 4, green glaze (this example is blue or perhaps blue-green, but probably not a significant difference? I wonder if the colours had symbolic significance).

Thanks again!

Derek
Ars longa, vita brevis, occasio praeceps, experimentum periculosum, iudicium difficile.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity