Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: An Egyptian Frog  (Read 1870 times)

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
An Egyptian Frog
« on: September 17, 2014, 09:58:14 am »
Over the summer, I bought this very small but still charming little Egyptian faience frog, c. 2nd-1st Millenium BC.  It's about 11mm maximum diameter.

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • The meaning of life can be found in a coin.
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
Re: An Egyptian Frog
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2014, 10:07:47 am »
What a wonderful little piece! Was it used as some sort of charm or simply decorative?

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2014, 10:26:45 am »
It was strung on (presumably) a necklace.  I was outbid on a very similar piece from the Hendin collection and always regretted not bidding higher, so I was pleasantly surprised when I saw this available for purchase.

Thanks for the compliment.  It is very small but looks nice in the library's display case.  Amphibians, being of two worlds, have always interested me, especially in relation to religious practices.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2014, 12:33:47 pm »
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2014, 01:41:35 pm »
Nice write-up, Joe.  I didn't realize you had any for sale.

I added the following to my gallery:

From Forvm's description of a similar piece:

The frog was a symbol of the Egyptian goddess of birth, Heget. Her priestesses were midwives and women often wore frog amulets during childbirth. Heget was said to have breathed life in to the new body of Horus and some of her amulets include the phrase, "I am the resurrection." Curiously, early Christians adopted the frog as a symbol of Christ's resurrection.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2014, 02:17:56 pm »
Believe it or not, I probably spent at least three hours researching Egypt and Heget and frog amulets, and it all was reduced down to those few lines.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

All coins are guaranteed for eternity