Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Constantine/Augustus Portraits  (Read 3051 times)

Offline Mayadigger

• Caesar
  • Romans, lock your wives way!
    • Noble Roman Coins
Constantine/Augustus Portraits
« on: April 18, 2003, 09:40:37 pm »
Has anyone ever noticed how the portraits of Constantine I radically altered after his defeat of Licinus? As Caesar and Emperor of the West, we see him portayed with a beard and mustache, or in this case, just a mustache.

Or, in this Commemorative coin issued by Trajan Decius, where Augustus looks suspiciously unlike his own portrait?

But, not long after he assumed the sole reign of the Roman Empire, we begin to see him clean-shaven and looking very much like Augustus, as seen below.

Below, is seen the "new" representation of Constantine.

Coincidence? I don't think so.

To my thinking, Constantine was obviously using his political machine to portray himself as the "new" Augustus, a fact that was not lost on the Roman populous.

I am sure that there are many other examples of emperors who used this same example to tie into the "Golden Reign" of Augustus.

Please add to this thread any other examples that you may find.

Kevin
"Goodbye, Livia: never forget our marriage!"

sejanus

Re:Constantine/Augustus Portraits
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2003, 11:18:40 am »
Trajan Decius had the portrait of Augustus have some of the same traits as his own portrait.  Nerva did the exact same thing with his Augustus restorations. ;)  It was a political move, more than anything, to show that they were "similar" to Augustus and thus could be the finest emperor Rome had ever seen if they let him live a bit longer.....

Offline LordBest

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2003, 02:18:22 am »
Even Napoleon did it. ;) The style of later Constantine portraits is supposed to be based on the portraits of Alexander III as well. :) Remember when Constantine was a tetrarch he was depicted as a tetrarch, snubby portraits with cute beards and all. ;)
                                            LordBest. 8)

Laetvs

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2003, 07:37:31 pm »
I notice that this siliqua has the "eyes to heaven" portrait of Constantine.  Was he the first to have this kind of pose?  

sejanus

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2003, 07:49:29 pm »
Perhaps, but I seem to recall Augustus having a similar portrait. :)  Of course, I may be wrong. ;)
Either way it wouldn't be heaven that he would be staring up to.  Remember - he was a follower of Sol Invictus - and only converted to Christianity on his deathbed. ;)

Offline LordBest

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2003, 10:44:35 pm »
If he converted at all. ;) I believe hte first gazing to god types were solidii, followed by siliqua then bronzes probably in successive issues. Dont quote me on that though. ::)
                                               LordBest. 8)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity