Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: COTD 8.4.03  (Read 2078 times)

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
COTD 8.4.03
« on: April 08, 2003, 06:34:34 am »
Aurelian, Restorer of the World, presumably referring to his reuniting of the empire. IMP C AVRELIANVS PF AVG, reverse RESTITVT ORBIS, star in field, KA beta; pregnant woman presenting emperor with wreath. Serdica mint.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline LordBest

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
Re:COTD 8.4.03
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2003, 06:36:55 am »
Ah, is it meant to be pregnant woman presenting emperor with wreath or is it one of those humerous anomalies? :-\ ::) EC would love it. ;) Aurelian has one mighty baby finger. ::)
Great coin, nice portrait as well as reverse.
                                     LordBest. 8)

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2003, 07:57:25 am »
I think the answer to that would depend on the mythological associations of the woman, and here I'm stumped. I'm sure I came across a speculation somewhere that she might be Terra, but that was all it appeared to be. Looking at vaious sites, I've come across images of similar coins where the woman also looked pregnant, so can anyone think of a reason why the restoration of the empire, or the world, would be associated with pregnancy? Would she be about to give birth to a new age, or anything like that?
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Urbanus

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2003, 09:55:57 am »
Nice coin. Bought similar RESTITVT ORBIS coin recently to myself too. Although I'm focused to the second half of 4-th century and 5-th  century coins, considering the historical backround of this coin, I think this is the "must have" coin.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity