Numismatic and History Discussions > Byzantine Coins

Class A Follis Ornaments on NumisWiki

<< < (4/16) > >>

yafet_rasnal:
I think that Wolfgang coin has one dot on book.

byzantiumcoins:
Yes.
Lorenzo is right - this coin is a completely new mix of ornament varities,
I have only labelled it 33var because of the reverse ornament.

btw I think var 31 and 33a are the same, the 4 "pellets" of 33a are just 4 triangles forming the cross and the arrow is the same thing as the Greek Phi 

look at the 2 fotos of coins in my personal coll.

Wolfgang

yafet_rasnal:
So you mean that the nimbus ornamental of Bellinger 33 is the same of Bellinger 31, right? I think it's highly probable, also because there's just one variety with this nimbus (strange).
I also think that the nimbus 43  and 44 has a dot in the center of the X

byzantiumcoins:

--- Quote from: Yafet Rasnal on January 08, 2007, 11:07:14 am ---So you mean that the nimbus ornamental of Bellinger 33 is the same of Bellinger 31, right?
--- End quote ---

No, not var 33 ! Var. 33 has got nothing to do with these.

Metcalfs Var. 31 and 33a!  are the same, in Bellingers old list of 1928 there was only 31, but no 33a -
It was Metcalf who included 33a in the DOC list whithout having a 33a in the DOC collection.
He quotes the coin in Paris, no. 64 which, unfortunately is not pictured in the Bibliotheque Nationale book.
Mme. Morrison wrote, that Bellinger didn´t know this variant, but I am sure he knew it and listed it as no. 31

Byzantiumcoins 

yafet_rasnal:
Oooppsss. I thought you were still referring to the Bellinger table  ;D
I never saw a Bellinger 33, so i wonder if the 4 dotted nimbus ornamental is or not the same "cross" of the cross of n.31. What do you think?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version