Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: I'm a brand-new baby Greekling, so please be kind.  (Read 1984 times)

Offline lordmarcovan

• Consul
I'm a brand-new baby Greekling, so please be kind.
« on: July 20, 2012, 11:05:11 am »
It's a bit of a culture shock for me, coming from Collectors Universe (i.e. PCGS Plastic Land), where I've been a fixture for 11 years and have become rather well known as an eccentric character, over to here where I'm not only a nobody but a novice, to boot.  Ah well, I expect the change will do me good.

So I recently put my money where my mouth is and decided to send a few hard-earned dollars our sponsor's way.  I'm not a big-budget guy by any means, but who'd want to jump into a new collecting pursuit by buying big-budget stuff anyway, right?

Here's what I grabbed.  I'll add them to my "ADAM" (Ancient, Dark Age, Medieval) gallery later.

First, this.  After 36 years of collecting, I've just set my "oldest coin" date back.  (My previous oldest one was probably a Corinthian stater I once had.)  I dig griffins.  Lord Marcovan (my Dungeons & Dragons character from my misspent teenage years) used to ride one into battle, for what that's worth (nothing).

Teos, Ionia, 510 - 490 B.C.

Silver trihemiobol, Balcer 62, Weber 6209, SNG Von Aulock 2258, SNG Cop 1439, Klein -, Rosen -, BMC -, Asyut -, VF, 1.468g, 10.5mm, Teos mint, 510 - 490 B.C.; obverse griffin seated right, forepaw raised; reverse quadripartite incuse square, bold partition lines forming cross, irregular shapes within incuse quarters; scarce

Next, this.  I also dig desert patina, and if you add a cool classical design and an eagle into the equation, so much the better.

Seleucid Kingdom, Antiochus VIII Grypus, 125 - 96 B.C.

Bronze AE 19, Houghton-Lorber II 2300(1)f, VF, 5.489g, 18.9mm, 0o, Antioch on the Orontes mint, 121 - 120 B.C.; obverse radiate and diademed head of Antiochos VIII right, one diadem end waving up behind, the other forward over shoulder; reverse BASILEWS ANTIOCOU / EPIFANOUS, eagle standing left on thunderbolt, lotus tipped scepter transverse under right wing, IE monogram left, date BϘP and murex (on right) in ex; attractive desert earthen highlighting on a dark green patina

Antiochus VIII Grypus (Hook-Nose) was crowned as a teenager, ruling jointly with his mother Cleopatra Thea. In 121 B.C., one day when he returned from a hunt, his mother offered him a cup of wine. Since this was not common behavior for her, Grypus was suspicious and forced her to drink the wine; poisoned, it killed her. Grypus fought a civil war with his brother that ended with his murder.

Then this.  I've "avatarized" it over on Collectors Universe.  I'll stick with my Otho denarius for an avatar here, for the time being.

Seleucid Kingdom, Philip I Philadelphos, 93 - 83 B.C.

Silver tetradrachm, Houghton-Lorber II 2463(2 - 3), SNG Spaer 2799 and 2805 ff., VF, rainbow toned, 15.862g, 26.9mm, 0o, Antioch mint, obverse diademed head right, fillet border; reverse BASILEWS / FILIPPOU EPIFANOUS / FILADELFOU, Zeus enthroned left, Nike in right crowning him with wreath, long scepter vertical in left,  F/A left, , laurel border

Philip I Philadelphus was the fourth son of Antiochus VIII Grypus. He took the diadem in 95 BC together with his older brother (probably twin) Antiochus XI Ephiphanes, after the eldest son Seleucus VI Epiphanes was killed by their cousin Antiochus X Eusebes. He established himself in Antiochia after 92 B.C. and survived attacks from younger brother Demetrius III Eucaerus. His rule ended in 83 B.C. when Tigranes conquered Syria, or earlier. He disappears from history at that point, but coins bearing his portrait were issued later by Roman authorities.

Last but not least, this, which was quite inexpensive.  (Won it from FORVM via eBay.)  Desert patina again, plus a cool counterstamp.

Tarsos, Cilicia, c. 164 - 37 B.C.

Bronze AE 21, BMC Cilicia p. 180, 106; SNG Cop 333 - 341; SGCV II 5672, F, 6.493g, 21.6mm, 0o, Tarsos mint, c. 164 - 37 B.C.; obverse veiled and turreted head of Tyche right; countermark: radiate head of Helios within oval punch; reverse TARSEWN, pyramidal pyre of Sandan on a garlanded base, Sandan stands inside with animal between two altars, eagle on top

Sandan was a Hittite-Babylonian sun, storm, or warrior god, also perhaps associated with agriculture. The Greeks equated Sandan with Herakles (Hercules). At Tarsus an annual festival honored Sandan-Heracles, which climaxed when, as depicted on this coin, an image of the god was burned on a funeral pyre.

Oh, and since they say you should "buy the book before you buy the coin"...  well... I didn't quite do it that way, but now I'll add another title to my shelf.  I already have Volumes 1 and 6 of the Sayles books, so now all I'll need is 3, 4, and 5.  As for Greek coin titles, I already have two old Sear volumes from the late 1970s, and that's about it so far.

There they are.  My first "baby steps" as a Greekling.  Not my first ancient Greek coins (I had that Corinthian stater before, and a posthumous Alexander tetradrachm on a huge flan, and some cheaper bronze and small silver before, but they were incidental purchases without a real collection in mind.)

Offline cicerokid

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: I'm a brand-new baby Greekling, so please be kind.
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 11:17:32 am »

Grecophiles are in short supply so a new one is extremely welcome.
Timeo Danaos afferentem coronas

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Akropolis Ancient Coins
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2012, 11:55:08 am »
An excellent start!
Buy only from reputable sources, like Joe at this site.
PeteB

Offline Mat

• Caesar
  • Ancient Coin Addict
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2012, 12:25:41 pm »
Nice additions, I like the trihemiobol the best.
MY GALLERY

MJB Ancients

Offline lordmarcovan

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2012, 01:03:32 pm »
Woohoo!  The mailman delivered them just this minute!   ;D

I haven't opened the package yet.  I'll save that for a bit later.

Have a long car trip this afternoon and ladymarcovan will be doing most of the driving, so I might tear into that box and peek at the coins and then read the Sayles book on the road.

Offline Steve E

• Caesar
  • My favorite Forvm purchase, so far!
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2012, 01:39:06 am »
Quote from: Mat on July 20, 2012, 12:25:41 pm
Nice additions, I like the trihemiobol the best.

I agree with Mat and PeteB!

Some great choices and a very fast start IMO!  A 2500 year old coin, pretty impressive :o

~Steve

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2012, 09:56:17 pm »
Welcome!  You are progressing a lot faster than I did when I started.  Glad to see you are open to the wide range of Greek coinage.  Now is the time to pick up broad knowledge, which will always serve you well whether you remain a general collector or find some area or two in which you wish to specialize.  I think it is fair to say that not two people collect in exactly the same way, but we all can and do learn from one another.  And that Teos is a nice example of late archaic style!

Mac

Taras

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2012, 07:08:39 am »
Welcome lordmarcovan!
As cicerokid sayd... "Grecophiles are in short supply so a new one is extremely welcome".

Your coin from Ionia is a very nice coin, a good one to start.  8)

I hope you'll add some coins from Magna Graecia to your greek coin Collection.
In fact, if "Grecophiles are in a short supply", it seems that Magno-Grecophiles are really an endangered species on this forum, and more generally in the world of numismatic collecting, we are like gorillas or pandas.  :P

All coins are guaranteed for eternity