Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Very small AE coin...I have no idea, Greek?  (Read 937 times)

Offline Ryan C

• Caesar
  • FESTINA LENTE
Very small AE coin...I have no idea, Greek?
« on: March 05, 2012, 04:58:28 pm »
This coin is as you can see is a bit truncated, and damaged, the obverse is obviously a bust of some type, sometimes it appears feminine to me, at others I think it is possibly Zeus. The reverse however is the part I think may be recognizable to someone. I see a bull, facing right kneeling( Io?), and it appears some type of character(s) in ex., it is 14mm in diameter at the widest point. Does anyone have a clue what type of coin this is? I have had it for years, from a bulk sale, and it defies my tries at identification. I think there is enough for someone to I.D., but not I. Thanks in advance.-Ryan
Ryan Collins, happy member of the Forvm.

Offline Steff V

• Praetorian
Re: Very small AE coin...I have no idea, Greek?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 05:16:19 pm »
I found this:
http://www.acsearch.info/record.html?id=4330

The bull is kneeling to the left and the woman seems different too but it's the best I can find.

And this is similar too:
http://wildwinds.com/coins/greece/thrace/tyra/t.html

Offline Ryan C

• Caesar
  • FESTINA LENTE
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 05:23:20 pm »
Thanks, that is helpful, but the coins you cite are silver, I have seen these, I am looking for a bronze, that would also be smaller than the coins cited. Maybe if I dig deeper in the area I will find something. Thanks again.

Offline Steff V

• Praetorian
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 05:25:51 pm »
Thanks, that is helpful, but the coins you cite are silver, I have seen these, I am looking for a bronze, that would also be smaller than the coins cited. Maybe if I dig deeper in the area I will find something. Thanks again.

I couldn't find any bronze either. Some more experienced member will probably give a more exact ID within a few hours  ;) But I guess this coin is from Tyra too.

Offline Ryan C

• Caesar
  • FESTINA LENTE
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 05:36:29 pm »

I couldn't find any bronze either. Some more experienced member will probably give a more exact ID within a few hours  ;) But I guess this coin is from Tyra too.
I think you are right, and I would love to have an I.D., I just have to hope some of my expert friends are on tonight. :)

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 05:37:43 pm »
It's hard without a legend, there are a number of coins with a head and a butting bull. These come closest but I couldn't decide.

http://www.acsearch.info/record.html?id=223624
http://www.acsearch.info/record.html?id=227669
Andreas Reich

Offline Ryan C

• Caesar
  • FESTINA LENTE
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 06:43:35 pm »
The second one could be it, or very close anyway, because on the reverse of mine you can see an "A" under the bull to the right , I believe the other elements have worn away. So I guess it is certainly Greek from around the 1st or second centuries B.C. then. We are getting closer.

arykanda

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2012, 03:21:27 pm »
This looks like a 2nd. c. BC coin of Termessos Major in Pisidia Zeus/butting bull, SNG BN has a few like it; I think the whole series should be attributed to Termessos Minor in Lycia though:)

soething like this: http://www.acsearch.info/ext_image.html?id=184082 bulls go either left or right in two different varieties

Offline Enodia

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2012, 03:31:17 pm »
here's another type for consideration (although the style of the bull is a little off)...
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-47263

~ Peter

Offline ebusus

• Praetorian
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2012, 05:17:09 pm »
hello,

it is a massalia coin from gaule, marseille in france.

"
Massalia, Gaul, c. 149 - 40 B.C. 80741. Bronze AE 15, Lindgren 131, SNG Cop 810, De La Tour 1673, F, Massalia mint, 2.300g, 14.9mm, 225°, c. 149 - 40 B.C.; obverse head of Apollo right; reverse MAΣΣ, bull butting to right;
"

regards.

Offline Ryan C

• Caesar
  • FESTINA LENTE
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2012, 02:36:34 pm »
I believe we have a winner. Good going and thank you, that little coin has been bugging me for years, the image of Apollo perfectly fits in with the mixture of masculine and some feminine attributes that6 I see when I am examining my coin. The bull looks spot on as well. Thanks so much everyone for your work on this.-Ryan

All coins are guaranteed for eternity