Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Allectus which RIC  (Read 874 times)

Offline SRukke

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Go ahead, make my day.
    • My gallery. Started January 2009
Allectus which RIC
« on: December 12, 2011, 10:47:47 pm »
Been through the Allectus section of RIC 4 times and can't find this coin as an antoninianus. The quinarii section seems to match up but not an antoninianus.

It isn't in hand yet and I am not positive on the mint mark but I think it's QL

ALLECTUS, London, 19mm, 2.23g, RIC 5b pg 557,
OBV: IMP C ALLECTVS P F AVG, Radiate, draped cuirassed bust right
REV: VIRTVS AVG, Galley
Q L in exergue

Any help is appreciated

Offline Giuseppe R

• Consul
Re: Allectus which RIC
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 04:39:01 am »
Leichter Antoninian, Londinium. IMP C ALLECTVS P F AVG Büste mit Strahlenkrone n.r., drapiert und gepanzert. Rv. VIRTVS AVG Schiff mit 6 Riemen auf Wellen n.l. Im Abschnitt Q L. RIC 563,55; C.81. 2,47g.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11761319/Allecto.jpg

Offline SRukke

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Go ahead, make my day.
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 09:50:17 am »
Leichter Antoninian, Londinium. IMP C ALLECTVS P F AVG Büste mit Strahlenkrone n.r., drapiert und gepanzert. Rv. VIRTVS AVG Schiff mit 6 Riemen auf Wellen n.l. Im Abschnitt Q L. RIC 563,55; C.81. 2,47g.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11761319/Allecto.jpg

That is the one I thought it was but it was under Quinarii. So what is the meaning of quinarii?

Offline newbeonecoinobe

• Consul
  • This a great forum
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2011, 11:36:17 am »
Try here at Numiswiki
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/numiswiki/view.asp?key=Quinarius

Good Luck
Pete

Basicly 1/2 a denarius

Here is another quote specifically on the Allectus coins this is from Ken Elks work.

The last series for Allectus were small coins retaining the radiate-crowned obverse bust of the antoninianus but only three-quarters of the previous weight. Because of the letter Q in the mintmark, this coin is often referred to as a "quinarius", though there is absolutely no reason for supposing that they were anything other than antoniniani of a reduced weight standard. By this time Diocletian's coinage reform was well underway and the adjustment in weight and size may have been in response to prevailing mainland standards. The reverse type depicts a galley, but the two mints available to Allectus mostly used different legends, VIRTVS AVG at London and LAETITIA AVG at the C mint, though some coins with VIRTVS AVG were struck at the C mint.  for the picture go here and look about 3/4 of the way down the page.

http://www.kenelks.co.uk/coins/carausius/carausius.htm

Above: Allectus "quinarius", C mint
Reverse: VIRTVS AVG Galley, mintmark: QC

Offline SRukke

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Go ahead, make my day.
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2011, 02:38:26 pm »

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

rick2

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2011, 03:37:06 pm »
we call these coins quinarii or sestertii but nothing is certain of their tariff after 250 ad

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ah Allectus, my trusted friend.......
    • Later Roman Coinage
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2011, 03:52:52 pm »
Hi,

It always irritates the label "Quinarii" for these coins. The truth is we do not know their value as rick2 states. The module of the non Q radiate reduces towards that of the Q coins and it is possibly a continuation.

Regards,

Mauseus

All coins are guaranteed for eternity