Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > Byzantine Coins Discussion Forum

ID help

(1/2) > >>

Pep:
I've looked through Wildwinds and a few other places for this one with no luck.  Can any of you please help me ID it?  I think it says bASIL on the upper right of the obverse but am not 100% sure.

Thanks,

Pep

Note from Pep:  This post was made before this current board was launched.  To clean up and conserve space on my own webspace, the photos originally in this spot are now posted below on January 3/4, 2004.

sejanus:
It is a follis of Basil I the Macedonian, emperor of the Byzantine empire from 867-886.

Pep:
Thanks  :)  Since I am Greek-impared, what do the legends mean? Also, this coin has a bluish-gray patina that feels chalky instead of smooth.  However, it still looks great (much better than the scan!).  There are a few dots of green corrosion on the front and some areas of it on the back.  I don't want to risk hurting the patina though in trying to get more of it off.  Have I done my job in cleaning it or is there more to do?

EmpressCollector:
I cannot see this well enough to read the inscription.  Try the best you can to tell me what they say and I will translate the inscription.

Pep:
Here is what the obverse legend says:
O(line through center)EOFIV bASIL

and here is the reverse legend:
(cross)OEU
FILEAVS
OVSCESV
hICAS

The "E"s actually have rounded corners as in the Greek alphabet (but I can't figure out how to change the font on this board :-/)

Thanks,

Pep  8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version