Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > Byzantine Coins Discussion Forum

Strange Tetarteron, A Little Help.

<< < (2/3) > >>

wegm:
I've poked through some references (Dumbarton Oaks, Sear, Wroth) and have come up empty handed. Though the striking and design of the scyphates gets pretty abysmal, the tetarterii always seem pretty consistent, even the stuff alleged to "unknown Greek" mints. The only thing I can say is that it is definitely "Byzantine" - i.e. if not of an actual Imperial mint, of a nation in the empire's orbit (what Obolensky called the "Byzantine Commonwealth") ???.

Simon:
I have not given up on solving this little mystery. I received a reply from another board citing it to be Alexius I Dumbarton Oaks 39.4 (illustrated in Vol. 4, Part 2, Plate VI , and after finally seeing the reffrence , yes the crudeness and the emperors portrait are similar but the obverse ,if it is the virgin is not in the orans position.

The only other clue I can add to the mystery is I purchased this coin from a dealer in Cyprus.

I

yafet_rasnal:
Perhaps a coin from an usurper emperor located in Cyprus. I know for sure there're this kind of coins.

LordBest:
There was an usurper in Cyrpus alright, Isaac Comnenus. But, regular Byz coins circulated in Cyprus and there have been quite a few hoards found in Cyprus of which the usurpers coinage makes up a very small percentage. :)
                                             LordBest. 8)

yafet_rasnal:
Yes i know about it ...but if he isn't able to find it on byz coinage books then the possibilities of an usurper raise.
I think vercingetorix is needed  ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version