Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Adolphi Occonis' Imperatorvm Romanorvm Numismata  (Read 1152 times)

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Adolphi Occonis' Imperatorvm Romanorvm Numismata
« on: January 12, 2011, 03:26:25 am »
Yesterday I found a copy of a very rare book that, needless to say, I had never heard of:

Adolphi Occonis' Imperatorvm Romanorvm Nvmismata a Pompeio Magno ad Heraclium.  It is an original 1601 edition with all four volumes bound as one.  Original binding it appears.

At 2800 Euro it was well out of my price range.  However, as it is sitting in a tiny antiquarian bookshop in Vienna, apparently not listed online, and I don't know if there are any other copies of this book for sale anywhere in the world, I thought I would let people know.

If anyone is seriously interested in the book please send me a PM and I can wander back to the bookshop and make enquiries.  I don't know if the dealer sells online, takes credit cards or anything of that sort but I can at least pass on his contact details.  Better this rests with an interested forum member than on the shelves of a bookstore.

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Adolphi Occonis' Imperatorvm Romanorvm Nimismata
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 10:19:57 am »
The book has a certain historical interest, as the first general catalogue of Roman imperial coins (first edition 1579), and the first to attempt to list them in chronological order.

Eckhel by 1790, however, already regarded Occo's work as superseded, since in 1683 Mediobarbus published a new general catalogue of Roman coins, including all of Occo's listings and a large number of new ones. And even that work by Mediobarbus is of little practical use today, since it doesn't give obverse legends, nor distinguish between sestertii and middle bronzes, above all because it is filled with erroneously described or invented coins, so that as Eckhel says, you should not cite a single coin from it without confirming that such a coin actually exists in some collection or some more reliable book!

My own library contains Mediobarbus' catalogue, which despite its innumerable errors does correctly describe some interesting coins and was the standard catalogue of Roman coins from 1683 until Eckhel's day. But I would have little use for Occo, and would hesitate to buy his work for 280 euros, let alone 2800!

Babelon cites two curious facts about Occo, who was a medical doctor from Augsburg: he advocated the medical use of rhubarb, and asserted that his conscience would not permit him to acquiesce with the Gregorian calendar reform!
Curtis Clay

Offline SC

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 11:15:40 am »
Thanks for the history of the book.  I would certainly get it if it was 280E for its historical value but  2800E is a different matter.  It requires a serious numismatic book collector who wants all old works regardless of utility.

Shawn

SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2011, 05:28:45 pm »
Rhubarb was originally a medicinal plant; its root is a powerful purgative. How anyone discovered that between the medicinal root and the poisonous leaf lies a bit that's nice to eat I don't know! Oxalic acid from the leaves is a useful home-made insecticide; I use a purified version for controlling bee mites.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline helvetica

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Helvetia Libera Deo Gratia
    • ID Help pages + RIC lists + www.wildwinds.com
Re: Adolphi Occonis' Imperatorvm Romanorvm Numismata
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2011, 10:07:03 pm »
If you're looking for rare books, have a wander down to Bücher Eule in Bern. Their hidden numismatic section in the back room makes you weep and curse your empty purse...

All coins are guaranteed for eternity