Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > Byzantine Coins Discussion Forum

Constans II coins in Arab Chalifat

(1/2) > >>

a:
Hi,

I find this Constans II folis in area captured by Arabs from Byzantine Empire at 638 AD. It is sensible that Byzantine coins of was legal currency in Arab Chalifat? Firstly I though that it is so called Arab-Byzantyne coin, but now I see that is regular Constantinopole issue. Anyone have explaination on this curiose?

corvus:
even in time of war there was still trading going one... or captured Byz. citizen... or diplomatic envoy...or.. there are hundred of options if you are not sure under what circumstances this coin was find - therefore I believe many of archaeologist are not happy to find coins like this in shops instead their original sites ...especially if some of coin was find from different culture are :)

vercingetorix:
I can't see clearly the regnal year, which is usual for Constans II coins, even if this one is struck on a larger flan than others. A Constans II follis  in a 638 conquered teritory is not a very big issue, for he starts his reign in 641. Local greek communities still existed at this time and probably used their own coins. Also the arab state was  at its very beginning, without chrystalized structures, which explains the presence of arab-byzantine imitations. The trade is out of the question as an explanation in our case, because long distance trade was not made with bronze coins.

corvus:

Quote:
"The trade is out of the question as an explanation in our case, because long distance trade was not made with bronze coins. "

I'm wouldn't be so sure abt. this issue - otherwise how you explain 6-8 cent. bronze coins in Estonia? History is always tricky biz. and you can not exclude any of option. As, mentioned place and circumstances under what coin was found are crucial

vercingetorix:
Corvus, a bread is 4 folles, for heaven's sake what trade could be there with 8 folles? ;) Probably some greek fellow bringing a souvenir to some northern friends.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version