Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Unlisted Byzantine coins  (Read 42428 times)

Offline joma-tk

• Caesar
Unlisted Byzantine coins
« on: September 15, 2010, 11:50:03 am »
I have this idea for some time now.
This forum has some "sticky" topics but I always felt that there is an important one missing.
So I suggest to the moderators to think if it would be a good idea to create a permanent
"unlisted Byzantine coins" thread.
By unlisted I mean not mentioned in Sear or any other major Byzantine coins reference.
I think it would be of great help both to collectors as well as it would help alot any future issue of a Byzantine coins catalogue .

If you agree, just create the "sticky" topic and I can easily contibute quite a few coins both from my collection or from other sources which I have saved in my database.
I am sure that many of our friends in this forum can also contribute their specimens accordingly.

tk

Offline wileyc

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Forum gallery:
Re: Unlisted Byzantine coins
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 12:45:59 pm »
TK

I think that is a great idea ;)

cw

Offline apgrassman

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 02:04:17 pm »
Hi

I collect a few byzantine coins, and would be very interested in seeing what people have found.  So sounds like a good idea to me. :)

Regards

apgrassman

Offline joma-tk

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 03:23:08 pm »
Thanks Wiley!
OK here goes the first one!
"Iustinianus" AE follis Thessalonica mint.
I put Iustinianus in quotes, since I am not sure if this coin was produced intentionally or
-most likely- is the result of a mistake.
In any case a very nice coin.
tk

Offline byzcoll

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 04:35:10 pm »
Hi, a great idea!

which references are exactly regarded as major?

Of course Sear, MIB, MIBE, MIBEC, probably also Grierson, DOC. What about BMC?
Are specialized books like Anastasi, Füeg, etc. major references?

It would be nice to have a definition, may be a moderator could post a list.

byzcoll

Offline Arminius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem
    • Arminius-Numismatics
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2010, 05:01:20 pm »
Good idea - i will search my very best!

Also for seals?

:branchesthreeleft: regards :branchesthreeright:

Offline joma-tk

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2010, 02:20:08 am »
Of course Sear, MIB, MIBE, MIBEC, probably also Grierson, DOC.

In my opinion just these and the two Bendall's books on Paleologean coins.

tk

Offline byzcoll

• Caesar
This is a 1/8 siliqua of Heraclius, Ravenna mint, with a cross potent on steps on the reverse. Only two known specimens to date! found online in a recent auction;
Reference given: LHS 102, 476.

9 mm, 0.26 g

byzcoll

Offline byzcoll

• Caesar
Re: Unlisted Byzantine coins- unpublished solidus Justinian II, Carthage
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2010, 05:58:49 pm »
An unpublished globular solidus of Justinian II. The globular shape suggests Carthage mint, the I in the field on the reverse is interpreted as regnal year 10, the year of Carthages capitulation. (The coin may also have been struck outside Carthage by the retreating Byzantines or may be even on Sardinia.) Extremely rare, I could track two examples only, this one and one auctioned by Sothebys.

11 mm, 4.37 g

byzcoll

Offline byzcoll

• Caesar
Re: Unlisted Byzantine coins-22 siliquae with bearded Justin II
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2010, 06:04:59 pm »
This is an intersting and may be so far unique hybrid: obverse is a bearded Justin II from a die used for the full weight solidi (Sear 344), but as the reverse reveals it is a 22 siliquae light weight issue. Actually full weight and 22 siliquae issues sometimes share the same obverse dies, but I have never seen or read of this combination.

byzcoll

Offline joma-tk

• Caesar
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2010, 12:34:05 pm »
As you all know, Constantinopolis folles of Iustinianus are always struck with a cross above M.
You will never find a specimen with a christogram or a chrismon or anything else in its position.
Wright?
Well not exactly. Althought I had never seen –so far- any specimen with anything else but a cross, Hahn mentions in MIBE that for year 30 only, some limited quantities of ceremonial folles were struck with a christogram above M.
Recently I was fortunate enough to find on e-bay an unlisted variation of the above type with the christogram inverted.

tk

Offline byzcoll

• Caesar
Unique solidus of Justinian I, Alexandria mint
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2010, 11:12:57 am »
This previously unknown solidus of Justinian I has recently been auctioned in Germany. It bears the hitherto unseen mintmark ALEXAOB, which is interpreted as Alexandria, but notably the lettering is all Latin, not Greek as seen with a later issue of Justin II (A :Greek_Lambda:  :Greek_Xi: OB).

byzcoll

Offline joma-tk

• Caesar
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2010, 03:12:52 am »
Again, as in a previous post of mine some days ago, I present a coin which of course does not officially exist.
Barbaric hybrid of Anastasius follis from Antioch (presumably...) with a reverse resembling Iustinianus follis.

tk

Offline joma-tk

• Caesar
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2010, 10:39:34 am »
I think it could be useful to contribute here even coins with small  "deviations" from normal.
So here goes an Iustinus I pentanummium, Sear 74, with CON inverted.

tk 

Offline joma-tk

• Caesar
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2010, 02:53:04 am »
Here is an interesting Iustinianus 16 nummium.
There were supposed to be two dots on each side of H.
Sear 180, unpublished variation.
tk

Offline wileyc

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Forum gallery:
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2010, 03:09:29 am »
Unlisted
John Comnenus-Ducas
Copper trachy
Thessalonica
1237-1244
St Theodore, John L., and St Demetrius holding cross circle between

cw

Offline byzcoll

• Caesar
Re: Unlisted Heraclius Solidus without officina letter
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2010, 12:23:42 pm »
This solidus of Heraclius, Constantinople mint, is unusual because it belongs to the second emission and lacks an officina letter on the reverse. The reverse die is known for the type Sear 729A. However Sear 729A is from the first emission of solidi with the obverse inscription d NN hERACLI PER AVI. The obverse of the coin shown below is from the second emission (Sear 730 series), reading d N hERACLIUS PP AI. It may be unique to date. Also see the corresponding thread in the general discussion section.

byzcoll

Offline byzcoll

• Caesar
Re: Leo III solidus type Sear 1504 with unlisted reverse legend
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2010, 05:20:45 pm »
At first glance this solidus of Leo III looks like a normal Sear 1504 specimen. The obverse legend ending in  :Greek_Mu: :V2: :L: :Greek_Delta: places the coin into Füeg's 7.D series, minted in 735/736 AD.

However the reverse legend ending in  :Tcurl: :Greek_Iota: :Greek_Nu: :V2: :<a href='../numiswiki/view.asp?key=dash' target='_blank'>dash</a>: :S: with an apostrophe is unlisted.

Reverse legends in this series either end with a plain  :Greek_Nu: :V2: :S: (7.D.1) or with greek numbering, i.e.  :Greek_Nu: :V2: :Greek_Alpha::Greek_Nu: :V2: :Greek_Beta::Greek_Nu: :V2: :Greek_Zeta::Greek_Nu: :V2: :Greek_Theta::Greek_Nu: :V2: :S: :Greek_Iota: or  :Greek_Nu: :V2: :Greek_Iota:. The meaning of the numbers is not known.

My guess: In light of this numbering system the apostrophe in the "new" reverse may indicate, that in this case the  :S: is meant as number 6 and not as the last letter of the name.

byzcoll

Offline joma-tk

• Caesar
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2010, 09:13:43 am »
Iustinianus 8-nummium, Thessalonica mint.
 :Greek_Alpha: :dot: :Greek_Iota: :Greek_omega_small:  above  :Greek_Eta:
Unlisted variety presented in this forum some time ago by W. Leimenstoll.

tk

Offline joma-tk

• Caesar
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2011, 01:36:07 pm »
Recenlty I found on e-bay this one:
Heraclius half follis Thessalonica mint Sear 828.
Heraclius on the normal coin wears a helmet with cross (similar to the one on the coin posted by Byzcoll three posts above this one).
Here, as you can see, Heraclius wears a crown with trefoil ornament which was not recorded thus far.

tk

Offline byzcoll

• Caesar
Unpublished variety of a Constans II solidus - Constantinople mint
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2011, 04:16:40 pm »
Late in the reign of Constans II his sons Heraclius and Tiberius were intoduced on the reverse of the solidi. The early issues (Sear 962) show a plain cross on a globe and Heraclius on the left and Tiberius on the right. Heraclius is always depicted larger than Tiberius which made a legend break neccessary: VICTORI - A

However, the coin shown on the top picture is different: Heraclius and Tiberius are of equal small size. Thus, there is no legend break: VICTORIA.

I believe that this coin represents the very first emission of the four-emperors type while Heraclius was enlarged soon afterwards. I have not seen any similar example in the literature (Sear, MIB, BNP) or in databases (acsearch). It seems to be unique or extremely rare.

byzcoll

Offline Obryzum

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2011, 08:44:52 pm »
I found another one of these odd Leo VI folles with the AC in the left field.  Antvwala found the first one and posted it in this thread in 2008:

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=50101.0

Then I found a die match in October 2009 and posted it in the same thread.  This week I found a third coin.  All three were struck with the same dies, which leads me to believe that there was probably only one die.  Maybe a special issue for the coronation of Constantine VII (AC= Alexander and Constantine as the joint emperors???).

Offline byzcoll

• Caesar
Half Tremissis of Justinian I
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2011, 04:21:13 pm »
This half tremissis of Justinian I seems to be unpublished. Apparently it is struck with normal tremissis dies. Weight is 0.79 g. Details can be found on acsearch (ID=52557).

Overall, half tremisses are only known from a few examples across the 6th and 7th century. A very unusual denomination.

byzcoll

Offline byzcoll

• Caesar
Light-weight solidus of 23 Siliquae of Leontius
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2011, 05:44:12 pm »
A recent auction featured this unique and previously unknown light-weight solidus of 23 Siliquae of Leontius, Constantinople mint. Weight is 4.16 g. The star on the reverse indicates the reduced denomination and is in the style of 23 Siliquae issues from the late Constans II on.

byzcoll

Offline byzcoll

• Caesar
New Legend on a solidus of Constantine VI with Irene
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2011, 11:17:30 am »
This solidus of Constantine VI with Irene is up for auction in January 2012. It is based on the type Sear 1593 - Füeg 2/3, but with a new obverse legend.

Description by the auction house:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Constantine VI, Irene and Leo III. 780-797 AD. Solidus, 4.46g. (6h). Constantinople, 787-790 AD. Obv: COnSTAnS IRINA (N retrograde) A - VS Facing busts of Constantine VI, beardless (on left) and Irene (on right), both crowned and with cross and central pellet between their heads; each holds globus cruciger, Irene also holds cruciform scepter. Rx: COnS - TAnOS - C' Γ' AVS Leo III, Constantine V, and Leo IV seated facing, each wearing crown. Not in the standard references, Fueg, DO, Paris, Berk, or Sear. Extremely rare, possibly only the second specimen recorded. Some areas of weak striking. EF.

Solidi of this joint reign normally name Constantine VI on one side of the coin and Irene, sometimes called Mother of the Augustus, on the other side. Our coin, in contrast, names both Constantine and Irene on the obverse, and then Constantine again on the reverse.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please note, that the deciphering of the legends by the auction house is flawed, they actually read:

Obverse:   :C: :Greek_Omicron: :N: :S: :Tcurl: :Greek_Lambda: :N: '  :S: '  :Greek_Iota: :R: :Greek_Iota: '  :Greek_Lambda: :Greek_Gamma: :Greek_Omicron: :Greek_Upsilon_2: :S:

meaning    Constantine with Irene "Augusta" (Constantinos syn Irini Agousti)

Reverse:  :C: :Greek_Omicron: :N: :S: :Tcurl: :Greek_Lambda: :N: :Greek_Omicron: :S:    :C: '  :Greek_Gamma: '  :N: :Greek_Omicron: :S:

meaning: Constantine "Caesar" our King  (Constantinos Caesar Basileus Noster), Note that the single  :Greek_Gamma: in the legend is a spelling error and should be :B:

An interesting coin, which demonstrates the ongoing struggle for power between Constantine VI and his mother Irene. In the end Irene got rid of her son and became sole empress over the empire. She then tried to buy the favor of the people by generous gifts, which threatened to ruin the finances of the state. Also, the coronation of Charles the Great proclaming him as the legal Caesar inheriting the Roman empire by the pope in Rome fell into her reign. She finally was deposed and banished in 802.

The coin also shows that the sloppy engraving of the legends in the series causes problems to decipher their exact meaning even for renowned auction houses.

byzcoll

All coins are guaranteed for eternity