Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Lingwell Gate coin moulds Video  (Read 1628 times)

Offline David Atherton

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
  • The meaning of life can be found in a coin.
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
Lingwell Gate coin moulds Video
« on: February 17, 2010, 06:30:33 am »
A fairly well known cache of ancient forgers coin moulds dated from the Severan era are shown in this very interesting youtube video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d61ZLF6IiCs

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
Re: Lingwell Gate coin moulds Video
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 04:59:36 pm »
Thanks for posting David that was very interesting.

Offline gallienus1

• Caesar
  • Hope for the best but prepare for the worst
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 05:20:07 am »
Fascinating! Has anyone got a cast ancient forgery from this time? Very clever of the forgers to work on the understanding that to the public “bad money drives good money out of circulation”. Understandable that people would snap up these coins to save them, believing their wealth was being protected by the higher silver content. I presume their cast denarii had a lower percentage of silver than the new double denarii of the Severans. Their only problem in passing these coins off in an age of struck coins must have been signs of casting. Perhaps they “aged” them to hide such evidence, as some modern parasites do.

Best regards,
Steve

Offline PeterD

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • omnium curiositatum explorator
    • Historia
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 12:51:19 pm »
An interesting video.

I believe that the purity of the denarius and antoninianus were much the same at around 50% silver in this period (180-220 AD). However, the ant was one and a half times the weight of the denarius and twice it's value. However I do not believe that this has anything to do with the reason why the forgers chose denarii as their model. After all they could have made ants more cheaply.

The antoninianus was introduced by Caracalla but was discontinued by Elagabalus. Coins take some time to get into full circulation and it's probable that the coin had little impact in far away Britain. It's much more likely that the forgers chose the denarius simply because it was familiar with the local population and wouldn't stand out like a sore thumb.

Of course we don't actually know what metal the forgeries were made of. It could have been bronze -'limes' denarii perhaps. There is a small piece about the finds here http://www.wildyorkshire.co.uk/naturediary/docs/2002/10/28.html including a drawing of a mould for Severus Alexander.
Peter, London

Historia: A collection of coins with their historical context https://www.forumancientcoins.com/historia

Offline cicerokid

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010, 02:23:41 pm »
There is no doubt that early Ant's were faked...my Elagabalus Ant. IMPCAESANTONIANVSAVG VICTOR ANTONINIAVG ( RIC152)  Victory advancing right with wreath & palm, much to my dismay has turned out to be plated.

Ok it is ancient and no doubt contempory, it is beautiful, a cracking Ant...but it makes one wonder who did make the coin?

I think it is someone at the mint, with or without official blessing.

Luckily my Caracalla Ant, ANTONIVSPIVSAVGGERM Jupiter seated holding Victory & sceptre, eagle left at feet PMTRPXV111COS1111P ( RIC 260b), looks to be the real thing.

One day when I understand photography and computers  more I shall raise a gallery.
Timeo Danaos afferentem coronas

All coins are guaranteed for eternity