Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Wildwinds: News etc.  (Read 84337 times)

Offline helvetica

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Helvetia Libera Deo Gratia
    • ID Help pages + RIC lists + www.wildwinds.com
Wildwinds: News etc.
« on: December 06, 2009, 04:11:45 pm »
Hi all
Because it takes up so much time to scroll down the enormous (and still growing) list of coins of e.g. Constantine, on wildwinds when you are checking the ID of a coin, I have added a list of clickable mint names along the top.
However, I have my Windows / screen resolution set to a relatively low resolution (it's better for my eyes) so although the size of the mint names are fine for me, it occurred to me that they may be too small for most people. So could I ask some of you to have a look at the page and tell me whether the size of the mint cities lines are too small ? Ok? Please "do not adjust your set", look at the page with your normal settings. I will check back here tomorrow and if the majority of you want the lines a tad larger, I will alter the html accordingly.
http://www.wildwinds.com/coins/ric/constantine/i.html

Is it useful ?
I may add the function to the pages of other emperors
Thanks !
Dane

Offline wandigeaux (1940 - 2010)

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
Re: Re wildwinds: new function, size
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2009, 04:17:10 pm »
I think it is very useful, and that the size of the mint city line is fine.  George S.
Hwaet!
"The pump don't work 'cuz the Vandals took the handle" - St. Augustine
GET THE HELL OFF MY LAWN!!
(1940 - 2010)

Offline James Anderson

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2009, 04:40:55 pm »
I have a 24 inch monitor set to a resolution of  1920 x 1080 pixels, which makes for small print. I have no trouble at all reading this-Jim A

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Trying not to screw up...one coin at a time...
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2009, 04:42:48 pm »
I will make use of the feature for sure...at 1440x900 it looks fine to me as well.

Chris
Salus Populi Suprema Lex Esto - Missouri 1822

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=19691

Offline moonmoth

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • What I Like About Ancient Coins
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2009, 05:14:58 pm »
Simple and useful. It looks fine to me.

Bill
"... A form of twisted symbolical bedsock ... the true purpose of which, as they realised at first glance, would never (alas) be revealed to mankind."

Offline slokind

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2009, 05:48:37 pm »
Even with presbyopia, and reading glasses to use in reading and for the computer (small font in File Info, for example, and parts of Dreamweaver are difficult), I find your font, on my 21" monitor perfectly legible.  So, thank you.  And this is so even though I am scheduled for a check up at the optometrist (foot notes!).
Also, I have a reading glass that I can use occasionally.
Pat L.

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2009, 06:05:53 pm »
A nice feature. Thanks!

Offline cars100

• Caesar
  • felicior Augusto, melior Traiano
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2009, 06:39:57 pm »
Hi Dane;
The size is fine for my eyes. Is there any way you could keep the list of mints active after you choose the thumb nail option?
Thanks,
Ray

Raymond Carson

Offline helvetica

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2009, 01:50:23 pm »

LATER: Ray wrote to me that he meant it'd be good to have the same thing on the thumbnail page. DONE !

By the way I added a new page for the usurper Regalianus today, so for all you people who have loads of these  ;D, please feel free to send images. I already have the nice image of a sold coin from the Forvm shop plus one from Vienna and one from the National Bank of Austria and one from a private collector which he sent me, which led me to make the page.

Offline Frans Diederik

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem, vita brevis est!
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2009, 05:45:25 pm »
Real improvement; would be an idea too for the provincial coins.

Frans

Offline helvetica

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2009, 01:09:41 pm »
This is more of a quick fix until we can afford the new real database software. Unfortunately the software required is horribly expensive and advertising "orders" from coin shops the payment for which would go to paying for it, is very slow in forthcoming.

Offline laney

• Caesar
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2009, 03:47:57 pm »
All look great.  Thank you.
Laney

Offline Enodia

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2009, 04:04:52 pm »
i have no trouble at all with the font size, but i do have a question. is there any way to disambiguate Greek and Roman Provincial coins?

as a collector of Greek coins almost exclusively it can be quite frustrating to look up a source for Greek coins only to find endless lists of what are really Roman. separation would make the search a lot easier.
i would appreciate this greatly, and i'm sure i am not the only one.
thanks!

~ Peter

Offline Enodia

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2009, 02:03:03 pm »
*bump*

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2009, 02:58:12 pm »
I've made the thread sticky, so it should stay at the top.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2009, 03:00:30 pm »
I'm glad to hear that Wildwinds will be converted into a real database. I hope it will have a good search function,
as it is it's so much wasted potential since you have to have a pretty good idea already what coin you have.
Andreas Reich

Offline helvetica

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2009, 04:33:40 pm »
@Enodia
I don't understand what you mean. The Greeks and Roman provincials ARE separated.
On the Greek city pages, the Greeks, or autonomous are at the top and these are followed, where applicable by the Roman emperors usually in chronological order.
I cannot think of any page in which they are all mixed up. Could you give me an example ?

One thing which Dave did, which I am changing bit by bit is - on the pages of Thracian and Moesian cities, he put the Moushmov numbers in order of size, so you'd get e.g. a 19mm Moushmov 1234 coming before a 21mm Moushmov 1200. I am changing this bit by bit putting these Mousmov numbers in numerical order, followed by Varbanov numbers (V comes after M) though these may be a mix of old and new Varbanov numbers.

Offline Enodia

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2009, 04:48:28 pm »
i'm sorry, i should have been clearer. i guess i meant separate pages, which i realize may present a limitation for the site.
but thank you for replying.

~ Peter

Offline helvetica

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2009, 12:14:01 pm »
@enodia.
The problem is that some people, especially new members to the numismatic community don't always know what they have. Let us say a person has a coin with the name ODECC.. visible. He or she has no idea what the coin is, except that it is probably from Odessos. Now, if the coins were separated onto two different pages - pure Greek and Roman Provincial, he would have to troll through 2 pages instead of just one.
Also, what I call "pure Greek" are always at the top of the Greek pages with the emperors' coins further down.

Offline helvetica

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Wildwinds: News etc.
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2009, 10:55:50 am »
Hi all
Over the past few days wildwinds has been hit by several "DOS Attacks" ("denial of service attacks") which occurs when an evil-minded person for reasons known only to his tiny mind uses a program or script to route himself via several IPs from all over the world to access the website several thousand times per second, thus overloading the server and causing it to shut down.
This happened on Thursday, Friday, last night from about 20:15 hrs until midnight and again today. It has happened before, always on a weekend when it is difficult to contact the server technicians.
So it seems our wildwinds hater is still at work - he still continued to send mailbombs to Dave's old address right up to November when the email address at the old server was finally switched off.
The host is currently moving the website to a different, hopefully more secure server on its system (web address will stay the same) but with nearly half a million files, it will take a couple of hours.
Please be patient.

Offline Sosius

• Caesar
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2009, 02:32:34 pm »
This is more of a quick fix until we can afford the new real database software. Unfortunately the software required is horribly expensive and advertising "orders" from coin shops the payment for which would go to paying for it, is very slow in forthcoming.

Helvetica:

You have done an amazing job with the RIC lists and with Wildwinds!  As a newbie to the hobby, I am extremely grateful to have access to these resources, and I suspect countless others are also grateful. How much money are you trying to raise for the database software?  If you could provide a paypal account name, I would be glad to kick off a virtual fundraiser to improve this great resource!

Any other hobbyists willing to help out? 

Cliff

Sosius

My Gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=24203
650+ coins and about 2/3 done--I have a coin problem

Offline helvetica

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2009, 10:30:21 pm »
Hi Cliff
That is very kind. Because the information on wildwinds needs to be cross-referenced in so many ways and along so many paths, the special database software is going to be four figures  :( Unfortunately a simple MySQL won't do it. Think of, say, a provincial coin of Gallienus. It needs to be under Gallienus, RIC, Sear Imperial Coins, the city coin page and all of these on two pages each (list page and thumbnail page). And because of all the different ways in which the current html coding is written (New coins are getting standardized coding - what would I do without NoteTab Pro ?) it will be a big job sorting it all out. There are over 300,000 files on the server!
I opened a special paypal account, separate from my private paypal account and the address is: wildwinds.contributions@gmail.com
Best wishes and Merry Christmas

David S4

« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2009, 11:53:59 pm »
I'd also like to thank you, Dane, Wildwinds must have been a real labor of love for Dave Suber and It's admirable that your keeping his work alive.  I think a donation site would help a lot.   One idea is to get a Wildwinds Foundation registered into the Ebay list of charities where sellers can donate a portion of their sale price.  I know I'd certainly be willing to give a portion of my profits to keep a site going that is invaluable to our hobby (although that seems to small a word).
Thanks Again,
David S4

Offline Ryan C

• Caesar
  • FESTINA LENTE
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2010, 06:58:44 pm »
I also would like to thank You for your invaluable resource. I have found your site to be very useful, and look forward to any improvements you will be making in the future. Wildwinds is my favorite site for identifying Roman coins and has become a constant source of great information. Good luck with your future endeavors.- Ryan C.

P.S. I would also like to comment on one error I found while researching Volusian. In the entry for RIC 184 of Volusian the image used is actually a coin of Victorinus, so if anyone has contact with wildwinds they may want to let them know about this.
Ryan Collins, happy member of the Forvm.

Offline helvetica

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2010, 12:29:04 pm »
Just wanted to let you all know that the DVD is now ready with a super search engine (it took so long to find one which a) works and b) works on a DVD.
By resaving some of the very large, byte-stealing images (some 500 pixel wide images were over 300 kb in size!) at a slightly lower resolution I managed to save about 100 Mb (!) so to fill up the DVD I have added the BMC Greek volumes which are in the public domain; the Anson Typefinder files and The Weber Collection.
It has three versions of the start page: in English, French and German.

The price is still the same as it was back in the early 2000s: $39.95 and if you want to order one, the Paypal address is
wildwinds.contributions@gmail.com
Make sure your postal address stored with Paypal is correct.

(@Ryan: darn it ! I didn't see your message about the Volusian error before burning the DVD master).

All coins are guaranteed for eternity