Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Domitilla Fouree  (Read 2475 times)

Offline 284ad

• Praetorian
  • biberunt ut Gothi
    • My collection blog.
Domitilla Fouree
« on: July 24, 2009, 08:28:23 pm »
I thought I'd share something I got through the post today.

It's a fouree but a very interesting one...

the obverse is Domitilla the younger "DIVA DOMITILLA AVGVSTA"

and the reverse is "PIETAS AVGUST" which I believe is from a denarius of Domitia RIC 156.

I want to try and get rid of the encrustation on the obverse but that can wait for now as even although it is a fouree it's still a really nice coin (which I desperately hope doesn't turn out to be a modern fake)

Offline PeterD

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • omnium curiositatum explorator
    • Historia
Re: Domitilla Fouree
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2009, 12:08:32 pm »
A very nice fourree and a good way to get an otherwise unobtainable coin.

The obverse seems to be RIC Vol 2 part 1, Domitian, number 157 (Domitilla). However the reverse seems to be number 156, a coin of Domitia, Domitia's wife. So, a hybrid, not unusual for fourrees.

The 'encrustation' is surely the copper core showing through, so cannot be removed.
Peter, London

Historia: A collection of coins with their historical context https://www.forumancientcoins.com/historia

Offline 284ad

• Praetorian
  • biberunt ut Gothi
    • My collection blog.
Re: Domitilla Fouree
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2009, 02:27:05 pm »

The 'encrustation' is surely the copper core showing through, so cannot be removed.

There is silver under the black thing on the obverse I removed a tiny piece of it with a scalpel this morning.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity