Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Ferdinand and Isabella  (Read 2270 times)

Offline dougsmit

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek & Roman Coins
Ferdinand and Isabella
« on: June 05, 2009, 06:35:31 pm »

Am I correct that the above Ferdinand and Isabella Blanca is Toledo mint?  Compared to others of the type I've seen (very few) the area under the Y is different.  I have seen tails going the other way and in both directions but not like this.  Is there confusion here due to double striking or just the poor strike or is there something else here I am not understanding. 

Few of these coins have much of the edge legend but you regularly see the legends quoted the same.  Did most dies share the exact spellings and the oddities we see were due to striking problems or was there a lot of variation in spellings and abbreviations

Is there anything on this series that allows dating closer than the reign?

Thanks.

Offline Tiberiusjulius

• Comitia Curiata
  • Caesar
Re: Ferdinand and Isabella
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 10:48:26 pm »
I believe the Toledo mint is something like  O
                                                                 T
So if what you're talking about is the second picture in right field I would assume so.
All the best
Josh

Sri_Sahi

Re: Ferdinand and Isabella
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2009, 10:18:15 pm »
There are a number of minor variations to these - the tail of the Y for example, all subsumed under a single type. On top of that, Clemente & Cayon Las Monedas Espanolas lists 87 (yes 87 by my quick count!) different mint marks for this type. This one looks like M-T either side of the Y, which is listed as Toledo, C&C 2428, priced at 10 Euros. 

All coins are guaranteed for eternity