Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Titus as Caesar Ephesus  (Read 957 times)

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • The meaning of life can be found in a coin.
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
Titus as Caesar Ephesus
« on: March 16, 2009, 02:14:10 pm »
I would like to share a recent acquisition of some interest.

Titus as Caesar, AR denarius
RIC 1460(Vesp)
Ephesus Mint, 74 AD
Obv - IMP T CAESAR COS III; Head of Titus, laureate, bearded, r.
Rev - CONCORDIA AVG; Ceres std. l., on ornate high-backed chair, with corn ears and poppy and cornucopiae; in exergue, star

This reverse type (shared with Vespasian), a common issue at Rome and to some degree Ephesus, is rare with the star mint mark. The Eastern denarii are usually done in a fine style and are very distinct from the much more abundant Rome issues. Here we see Titus gazing heavenwards, a trait of this particular series. Another group minted around the same time used annulets as mint marks along with the star. The star alone rates an R2 in RIC.

Perhaps a bit worn with a few stains, but IMHO a handsome example from this very rare series.

Offline maridvnvm

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Titus as Caesar Ephesus
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 04:35:51 pm »
I can certainly relate to the joy of finding a rare variety that the majority of people will scan past and pay scant attention to, though that feeling doesn't happen much nowadays for me. Yours is a very pleasing example with a very desirable portrait on a rarer coin.
Congrats.
Martin

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 05:58:10 am »
Thank you Martin.

Indeed you do know the joys of finding 'that' rare type...scanning your wonderful galleries shows we share the same appreciation.

This coin has grown on me since it's arrival a couple of days ago. The amount of wear is no longer a detriment to my eyes (no, I will not invoke the hackneyed phrase 'just think of how many hands...'), but adds to the unique appeal of this specimen. I'm not sure why the die-cutters portrayed the young prince gazing upwards, the bust supplied to them for copying certainly could not have been so.

I hope one day to acquire all the denarii of the series, this is just a small baby step in that direction.

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2009, 03:03:07 pm »
Despite the wear, an attractive and complete specimen of this rarity!

As you point out, Buttrey and Carradice have divided this Star issue into two, the second part, their Group 9 (p. 168), being marked with an annulet on obv. or rev. or both, in addition to the star.

I wouldn't agree with them, however, that the appearance of the annulet "is sufficiently systematic for it to be regarded as a distinguishing feature of this group or subgroup" (p. 42).  I'm not convinced that the annulet coins are necessarily later than the non-annulet coins; in my view that needs to be proved and should not just be assumed!
Curtis Clay

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 02:39:49 am »
Thank you Curtis for your valued insights.

I too was wondering how the RIC authors came up with the minting sequence of the two groups...let alone why they were divided in the first place. Other than the annulets and fewer types minted, group 9 is identical to group 8.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity