Antiquities Discussion Forums > Ancient Pottery Discussion Forum

More pottery: does anyone know what this is?

<< < (2/3) > >>

slokind:
Stamps seem to be used on yours, with hand retouching.  "Samian" is an old label.  The fanciest and earliest red wares, like Arretine and some of the 1st c. AD red sigillata are figured and mould-made, primarily.  Those are the ones that get illustrated in handbooks (or else the plainest red wares, most commonly found in excavations).  The patterned ones, still with certifiable Greco-Roman origins, such as egg-and-dart or friezes of palmettes, are just what I had trouble finding.  The use of stamps in decorating relief ware goes back to at least the 7c BCE.
What is suspicious about yours is simply its nearly pristine condition and the impossibility of checking out the less visible parts of it.  Perhaps you could take a photo of the bottom?
Also, I assume it to be beaker-size, say, 12-15cm?
But it certainly is pretty.
Is the clay dense and hard?
Pat L.

pierre_p77:
Thanks again pat! All your fantastic knowledge is very interesting! Here are a few more pictures. The "beaker" is not so big, it´s about 9 cm high and 8 cm wide at the top.

Tiberiusjulius:
Is that a signature on the bottom?

pierre_p77:
I can´t make out the text, it´s written in pencil. It was much clerer on the photo than in reallity. I didn´t thought of it as a signature, I thought it might be the name of a previous owner or something.

pierre_p77:
Thanks for your reply Seth! I don´t know much about it´s history. The guy who handed it to me comes from Balcan, his familly were art collectors for several generations, or so he says. Now he owns a private museum in Sweden. I don´t know how he got hold of this piece though.

It would be very interesting if it is early sigillata. Do yoy know any pictures or other information to similar objects?

Regards

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version