Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: TIP: APOLOGIZE FOR MY ENGLISH  (Read 17118 times)

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
TIP: APOLOGIZE FOR MY ENGLISH
« on: October 09, 2008, 06:49:59 am »
If you speak or write English as a second language and are not perfect, don't worry about it and no need to apologize. Sometimes we have small communication problems here because people who use English as a second language misunderstand or are misunderstood. Often English as a second language speakers apologize to me for their "poor English." One reason English has become a world-wide language is because English speakers are understanding and are not offended by mistakes. We really don't think that way at all. There is no need to apologize. Just keep trying. We are happy to have you in the discussion. 

Don't Worry, Be Happy!
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Potator II

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Error communis facit jus
    • Monnaies de la Dombes
Re: Apologize for my English
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2008, 08:03:35 am »
Thank you Joe for these words.
I would add that Forum, in addition to being a great forum and a nice coinshop, is a fantastic "tool" to improve our english, writing and reading. Mine has been dramatically improved since I am a member here. (hope my words are understandable  ;))

Regards
Potator

Offline Arminius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem
    • Arminius-Numismatics
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2008, 08:58:56 am »
And on this board we experience the advantages of kind communication to the point, respecting each other.

(Yes, i know, sometimes we also have an educational example from the other side in the sandbox.)

A.

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2008, 05:33:13 pm »
I very rarely have any difficulty understanding anyone here. Since I'm the only one in the family who speaks English as a first language (or was at any rate; the girls find Krio a bit unfamiliar now), I've come across far worse problems.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline okidoki

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=37270
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2014, 01:20:26 pm »
Thank you very much, speaking is much easier than writing.
great Forum.
all the best from,

The Netherlands
Eric
All the Best,
Eric
There are no strangers, only friends you do not know yet.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=37270

Offline Meepzorp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2015, 05:47:50 am »
Quote from: okidoki on December 13, 2014, 01:20:26 pm
Thank you very much, speaking is much easier than writing.
great Forum.
all the best from,

The Netherlands
Eric

Hi oki,

I feel the opposite way. For me, reading and writing a foreign language is easier than speaking it.

I am a third generation American of Italian descent. My grandparents emigrated here from Italy. I have always been fascinated with the Italian language. After English, it is the language I am most familiar with. I took 3 years of Italian language courses in high school. But I forgot most of it within a few years. Ironically, my interest in ancient coins has re-awakened my interest in the Italian language. And I am slowly re-learning it. But I still find it very difficult, if not completely impossible, to speak Italian. I really struggle with speaking it. Maybe it's just the way my brain is set up. I'm a "science and math guy", and I come from a science and engineering background. When I was in school, languages, including English (my native language), were always my weakest subjects.

That being said, I very rarely have trouble understanding Forum members in foreign countries who struggle with English. Maybe it is because I was a physics and engineering major in college. Most of the graduate students who assisted my college professors were from foreign countries, and many of them spoke "not so good English". But I had no trouble understanding them.

Additionally, most people in foreign countries are better at understanding English than most Americans are at understanding foreign languages. And I am a perfect example of this. I have a cousin who lives in Genoa, Italy. We communicate regularly. Her English is much better than my Italian. And I am the one who is the intellectual. :)

So, as Joe said, "Don't worry, be happy!!!"

Meepzorp

Offline okidoki

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=37270
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2015, 06:19:00 am »
Hi Meepzorp,
We have a saying here " whit hands and feet you can come a long way" and were there i willingness even more.
Italians speak always with hands and expression.
That we love here in the Netherlands  +++
cheers,

Eric
All the Best,
Eric
There are no strangers, only friends you do not know yet.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=37270

All coins are guaranteed for eternity