Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Byzantine Newbie.  (Read 2109 times)

Offline maridvnvm

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Byzantine Newbie.
« on: July 24, 2003, 07:47:46 am »
I first posted this coin over on the Unleaned board as it is part of a large batch of coins I am currently cleaning. I am a complete novice with Byzantines and this is the first one I have come across. I would appreciate comments and feedback with my first stab at an attribution.

"Facing bust" bronze 1/2 follis of Justinian ?? (527-565 AD)
DN IVSTINIANVS PP AVG, with Justinian facing, holding a cross on his right hand, with a cross to his right.
Large K (stands for 20 nummi ??) on reverse, ANNO to the left, XX (regnal year 20, what dates this coin to 546/548 AD), cross above, V and Z underneath.

I take it that the V and Z are mint marks. What mint?
Can anyone help me in corfirming my first guess and maybe help me towrds a reference?
I know these are a lot of questions but I am fresh to this area and keen to learn.

Regards,
Maridvnvm

Offline wegm

• Procurator Monetae
  • Praetorian
    • History & Numismatics
Re:Byzantine Newbie.
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2003, 10:16:53 pm »
You know more than you give yourself credit for! You've got it. The letters beneath the K (Greek 20) are a V over Z, and are the mark of the Cyzicus mint. The Sear number for this 208.

Offline maridvnvm

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re:Byzantine Newbie.
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2003, 04:32:11 am »
Thanks for that. I like to do as much of my own researhc as possible and try to only as questions when I am not clear and / or sure about some of the facts.
With this one I was just checking that my research into this completely new area for me was along the right track.
I was struggling with the V over Z, which is what I thought they were but didn't link this with Cyzicus.
The Sear reference is a bonus.
Many thanks,
Maridvnvm

All coins are guaranteed for eternity