Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Fake Ariadne tremissis from empire_gallery  (Read 946 times)

Offline Hydatius

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Fake Ariadne tremissis from empire_gallery
« on: November 21, 2007, 12:35:41 pm »
Here's another fake from empire_gallery, a freehand tremissis of Ariadne (wife of Zeno and Anastasius). I've included the only photo of an Ariadne tremissis posted on CoinArchives.com.  It sold for 36,000 Swiss francs.  It currently has five bids and is up to a whopping $157.60 on eBay.

I was hoping someone with more Byzantine knowledge than I have could post this in fake reports. Both RIC X and LRC-DO end with Zeno so I don't have any references for the reign of Anastasius.

Richard
Non tam praeclarum est scire Latine quam turpe nescire.

gibfrog

Re: Fake Ariadne tremissis from empire_gallery
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2007, 11:26:57 am »
Richard:

GREAT CATCH!!!!

I have a issue with the wreath. It is not like the official issue, which you showed because it lacks the raised central branch which all the leaves are attached to and it is very crude. 

I checked Tremissis issues of Zeno & Anastasius.  There were no Anastasius tremissis with the cross/wreath reverse in coinarchives.  There were Zeno issues from several mints and immitative, but no wreath like the eBay example.
Here is a close one (Roma?), with disjoint leaves, but still 3d on a raised central branch

another Rome

Milan

look at this Ravenna issue , sort of flat, but only twin leaves not triplicate and much finer work,

another Ravenna, a bit cruder, but still finer twin leaves on a branch and not floating triplicate leaves.

some immitative issues

Cliff

Offline Hydatius

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Re: Fake Ariadne tremissis from empire_gallery
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2007, 09:14:05 am »
This one went for $242.50.

Richard
Non tam praeclarum est scire Latine quam turpe nescire.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity