Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: KUSHAN  (Read 2766 times)

Emanuele Giulianelli

KUSHAN
« on: August 27, 2007, 08:48:02 am »
My first Kushan coin
can you help me?

the seller decribed it to me as:

KUSHAN EMPIRE, VIMA KADPHISES AE26 TETRADRACHM

Emanuele Giulianelli

Re: KUSHAN
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2007, 08:48:24 am »
Vima Kadphises (en.wikipedia.org)

Vima Kadphises (Kushan language: Οοημο Καδφισης, Ancient Chinese:阎膏珍) was a Kushan emperor from around 90-100 CE. As detailed by the Rabatak inscription, he was the son of Vima Takto and the father of Kanishka.

Vima Kadphises added to the Kushan territory by his conquests in Afghanistan and north-west India.

He was the first to introduce gold coinage in India, in addition to the existing copper and silver coinage. Most of the gold seems to have been obtained through trade with the Roman Empire. The gold weight standard of approximately eight grams corresponds to that of the Roman coins of the 1st century. Gold bullion from Rome would be melted and used for the Kushan mints, into three denominations: the double stater, the stater, and the quarter starter (or dinara).

The usage of gold testifies to the prosperity of the Kushan Empire from the time of Vima, being the center of trade between China (where Vima was known as 阎膏珍), Central Asia and Alexandria and Antioch in the West. The Kushan were able to maintain and protect the Silk road, allowing silk, spices, textiles or medicine to move between China, India and the West. In particular, many goods were sent by ship to the Roman empire, creating a return flow of gold coins, Greek wine and slaves. Works of arts were also imported from all directions, as indicated by the variety and quality of the artefacts found in the Kushan summer capital of Bagram in Afghanistan. A strong artistic syncretism was stimulated, as indicated by the Greco-Buddhist art of Gandhara.

Roman history relates the visit of ambassadors from the Indian kings to the court of Trajan (98-117 CE), bearing presents and letters in Greek, which were sent either by Vima Kadphises or his son Kanishka.

Most of Vima's coins feature the Buddhist symbol of the Triratana on the reverse (or possibly Shiva's symbol for Nandi, the Nandipada), together with representations of Shiva, with or without his bull.

Emanuele Giulianelli

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2007, 08:49:25 am »
my coin should be:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/35/Vima36.jpg

From "Coins of the Indo-Greeks", Whitehead, 1915 edition

Vima standing, making an offering over a small altar. Imperial title in Greek: ÂÁÓÉËÅÕÓ ÂÁÓÉËÅÙÍ ÓÙÔÇÑ ÌÅÃÁÓ ÏÏÇÌÏ ÊÁÄÖÉÓÇÓ

i think it's this one, with bull with neck down and inscriptions around rev and obv:
http://www.coinarchives.com/a/lotviewer.ph...ID=191&Lot=1593

am i wrong?

Offline Johnny

• Conservator Princeps, Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2007, 10:23:12 am »
I found this link while trying to ID some of my Kushan coins

I think the top coin is very similar to yours

http://www.grifterrec.com/coins/kushan/kushan3.html

Emanuele Giulianelli

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2007, 03:15:35 pm »
No, i think it could be:

Vima Kadphises (circa 100 - 127/8 AD)
AE Tetradrachm or Unit (Bi-lingual series)
Mitchiner ACW 3008, 3014 - 3016, 3028 - 3032, 3040 - 3043, 3047
26 mm.
16.18 gm.
Die position=12h
reverse
Obverse: King standing left, altar and trident on left; club and tamgha on right. Greek legend.
Reverse: Shiva standing facing, holding trident; and the bull, right (Cribb series IIIa/C3); Nandipada symbol in left field. Karosthi legend.

Because my coin has got leged where there is the bull

Offline Howard Cole

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Elymais forever!
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2007, 05:48:53 pm »
It is Wima Kadphises, also spelled Vima, Mitchiner 3028 to 3032, because the King's name is spelled OOhMO and the position of the club is between the elbow and tamgha.  This is the second bi-lingual series minted at Taxila and probably Pushkalavati.

Mitchiner just calls this an AE Unit.  The name of Kushan copper coins is really not known.

Emanuele Giulianelli

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2007, 02:55:23 am »
Very thanks, dear Howard! In this period i'm learning very much from you

Emanuele Giulianelli

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2007, 01:36:32 pm »
Is this coin common?

Offline Howard Cole

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Elymais forever!