Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > Byzantine Coins Discussion Forum

Rare Byzantine coins in your collection

<< < (25/27) > >>

Simon:
Did not realize how rare this coin was until I got it.  I have found no image on Wildwinds and one image on Labarum.  Sear puts it at a higher value but I am uncertain how he got that price when no examples seem to be avaiable.

Theodore II (Magn.) AE Tetarteron SBCV-2146 DOC IV 14

OBV- Star in Crescent

REV- Full length figure of emperor wearing stemma, divitision and Chalmys; holds in r hand labarum headed scepter. In l.Globus .

Size 19.36

Weight 1.8gm

DOC notes one example, no weight given size 19x16

kitov:
John Comnenus-Ducas. As emperor of Thessalonica, 1237-1242. Æ Half Tetarteron (1,04 gr.). Thessalonica mint. + Iω Δ/KOMNH/NOC O ΔO/VKAC in four lines / Cross potent on two steps; barred IC-XC across field. DOC 13; SB 2224,CLBC V.Marchev 14.30.3
The coin is minted in 1242-1244 

Simon:
I have a version of that as well, I was noticing how they differed. Weight is near same but the reverse legend is not the same.  These are found concaved as well. Both yours and mine agree with Hendys observation  that they are tetartera.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-160043

Here is our coins side by side.

Pekka K:

I read kitov's  coin: Ιω/ ΔΕCΠ(Ο)/ ΤΗCΚ/ ΟΜΝ

Pekka K

Paul B11:
I was with my Dad in 1972 in Carthage. He bought a bunch of uncleaned "Roman" coins. I recently "cleaned" enough to identify - some late Roman, some Arab, some Byzantine (all minted in Carthage), some imitations, and a lot of vandal coinage. This little silver coin turned out to be a surprise. SB#872 Heraclius 1/2 Siliqua, Carthage.

Reverse is Her. Const. and Martina, with cross between.

Obverse is Heraclius, looking like Darth Vader here. It was solid smooth black all around when I started.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version