Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Lady OTD ANNIA FAUSTINA  (Read 2001 times)

Offline gb29400

• Caesar
  • Your life is what your thoughts make it ! M.Aurel
    • GbCollection
Lady OTD ANNIA FAUSTINA
« on: April 04, 2006, 05:02:06 pm »
hi all,

the last lady coming in my collection:

Tetradrachmon, Alexandria, 221.
ANNIA – FAUCTINA – CEB Draped bust right
R/ L E (=yaer 5) Athena standing left, holding in right hand Nike , leaning an shield.
BMC (Alexandria) 199,1550  --  Dattari 4192

Guy

Offline featherz

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • All Elagabalus provincials to me, please! :)
    • Aeqvitas.com
Re: Lady OTD ANNIA FAUSTINA
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2006, 08:57:16 am »
Nice! I have been looking for one of these as I'm always in need of more Annia's. Congrats! :)

Offline Rhetor

• Consul
  • Tolle! Lege!
    • Personal Homepage
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2006, 11:22:27 am »
In case anyone ever gets to Nashville, TN, there's a full scale replica of the Parthenon in Centennial Park, complete with the Athena Parthenos holding Victory in her hand, just like the reverse of this coin.  It's the largest indoor sculpture in the Western world, I think.  40 feet tall.  The Nike statue is 6 feet.

Rhetor

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2006, 05:26:38 pm »
Although the Nike is more correct on this one, the one in the Royal Ontario Museum has everything else to recommend it, IMO.  Pat L.

Douglas

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2006, 02:14:55 am »
I must go to the Royal Ontario Museum my next trip to Toronto to visit my fiancee. Anything else must-see in Toronto?

virtvsprobi

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2006, 03:31:59 am »
Art Gallery of Ontario... Uh... Some other museums... Although none spring to mind immediately.

The ROM has quite a bit of statuary (including a bust of Faustina Jr.) and some coins on display.
Although they could show MORE coins, if you ask me. Put that mummy away and let's see some sestertii! ;D

You must take advantage of the international cuisine while in Toronto. The entire world is represented here by at least one restaurant!

Pix of the ROM Athena Parthenos reconstruction:

http://tinyurl.com/nccsy

I always intend to go and specifically photograph Faustina, but get distracted... :P

G/<

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2006, 03:54:35 am »
I must go to the Royal Ontario Museum my next trip to Toronto to visit my fiancee.

So you like older women?  ;)
Andreas Reich

Offline wolfgang336

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Aut Caesar Aut Nullus
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2006, 04:41:19 pm »
The last time I was there, the ROM was undergoing renovations and much of their collection of statuary and all things ancient in general had been put away. Can I assume the reno is complete?

Evan

Offline whitetd49

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • FEL TEMP REPARATIO
    • Coins of the Severan Dynasty at Stobi
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2006, 05:13:03 pm »
The last time I was there, the ROM was undergoing renovations and much of their collection of statuary and all things ancient in general had been put away. Can I assume the reno is complete?

Evan
No, it is still all torn up.  The "bubble" construction is behind schedule.  It will be months.
If you watch long enough, even a treefrog is interesting.  Umberto Eco
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10349

virtvsprobi

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2006, 11:57:42 pm »
It will be months.

What an optimist you are!

Merging the old building with ST TNG's Crystalline Entity... What a disaster...
You can see the current status via live webcam: http://www.rom.on.ca/renaissance/hyatt.php

I just hope nothing goes missing in all the to and fro... :P

G/<

Commodo73

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2006, 03:09:52 am »
Nice coin !

Douglas

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2006, 02:33:57 pm »
I've been visiting Toronto regularly the past 18 months, and enjoying the international cuisine quite well. Too bad about the renovation happening right now since I should be there in 3 weeks I think. Perhaps they will be finshed with it this Summer. Since my fiancee has lived in Toronto all her life, she doesn't think of these places for me to visit. She does think of great restaurants (she's in the Yonge and Eglington area, lots of tasty food there), and going to the St Lawrence Market is always a pleasure (mmm Peameal bacon sandwiches). I just need to get her to think of the cultural part of the city as well since I am a tourist after all. I should plan a trip where I can do these things while she is working.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity