Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Manlius Aquillius Denairus non-serrated?  (Read 319 times)

Offline paps

• Consul
  • gerryn2001
Manlius Aquillius Denairus non-serrated?
« on: March 20, 2023, 07:55:11 pm »
Hey everyone, I passed up bidding on this coin because I believe these came only serrated. Could coins have been minted both serrated and non-serrated? I really don't know, therefore I passed on the coin.

Mn. Aquillius Mn.f. Mn.n. 65 BC. AR Serrate Denarius. VIRTVS III VIR, helmeted bust of Virtus right / MN • AQVIL right, MN • F • MN • N left, SICIL in exergue, the consul Man. Aquillius raising Sicilia. Cr401/1; Syd 798.

Online Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
Re: Manlius Aquillius Denairus non-serrated?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2023, 11:32:19 pm »
Hard to tell what's going on from this poor photo.  I see very faint signs of possible serration at 12h reverse - although that may be the light shining off the plastic flip playing tricks. .  Please provide the weight, if you can find it.  Crawford mentions that one non-serrate specimen is known, for which he cites Rome, Capitol 1112.  Worth comparing that coin to this to see if the dies match.

Offline Din X

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2023, 04:27:13 am »
"Crawford mentions that one non-serrate specimen is known, for which he cites Rome, Capitol 1112."

Interesting would be to know if all known coins from the same dies as the not serrated one in Capitol are serrated or not.

If all other coins from the same dies as Capitol would be serrated, it would mean that the coins from this dies are supposed to be serrated and that the Capitol specimen is an expection and they either forgot to serrate at mint  or it has been produced for a specific not clear and known purpose wthout serration or the rim has been later altered and serration was removed on the Capitol coin.

If all other coins from the same dies as Capitol would be not serrated, then it would be more interesting, because it would mean that all coins form these dies were intentionally produced not serrated.

I assume that more than one coin from the dies of Capitol has survived and that the other ones are serrated from these dies, so it would help to have a good picture of the Capitol coin to search for die matches.

Offline paps

• Consul
  • gerryn2001
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2023, 09:40:10 am »
Interesting would be to know if all known coins from the same dies as the not serrated one in Capitol are serrated or not.
Yes that would be quite interesting. I wish a had a picture of the example to compare.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity