Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Question on a Domitius Domitianus Coin  (Read 260 times)

Offline lawrence c

• Consul
Question on a Domitius Domitianus Coin
« on: March 15, 2023, 10:32:40 pm »
Forgive me for what might be a stupid question. I finally managed to pick up a Domitius octodrachm from an auction. I haven't received the coin yet, but have a question on it.

Description: Domitius Domitianus. Usurper, AD 297-298. Potin Octadrachm(?) (23mm, 11h) (23mm, 12.23 g, 12h). Dated RY 2 (AD 297/298). Radiate head right. ΔOMITIANOC CEB.  / Sarapis standing right, wearing kalathos, raising his right arm in salute, holding transverse scepter with his left hand and arm; palm frond to right, L B (date) to left. Köln –; Dattari (Savio) 10824; K&G 126.1; Emmett 4241.2. In ANACS encapsulation 6202972, graded VF 20. Ex Roma E-Sale 30 (29 October 2016), lot 304. CNG Auc 534 (15 March 2023), Lot 462.

I don't have a decent reference on this particular coin; Sear only has partials and RPC Online hasn't gotten to this era yet. My question is on the reverse. All the examples I've seen have the palm frond to the left and the year to the right. This one has the frond to the right and the year to the left. Unfortunately, the photo is not of the best (taken while the coin is still slabbed), but is clear on that. Is this a routine variant or rather unusual? Thanks much.

Best,
Larry

Offline Curtis JJ

• Caesar
    • CONSERVATORI: Ancient Coins & Their Provenances
Re: Question on a Domitius Domitianus Coin
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2023, 10:56:36 pm »
The reference they gave, Dattari-Savio 10824, does give the palm on the right, as on your example. Also Dattari-Savio 10825 (appears to be the same type). It looks like 10828 might only be different in the placement of L-B (horizontal, not vertical/diagonal). Those wouldn't be included in the original 1901 Dattari catalog (it only goes up to # 6580), so they're only in the 1999 & 2007 volumes edited by Savio.

ATTACHMENTS:

Images of Dattari's rubbings for those two coins (and a larger photo showing most of the Octadrachms). This is the 2007 edition, but same in 1999 (i.e., no additional examples in the 2007 Supplement). If you haven't seen them before, the image quality doesn't get much better, as those are Dattari's pencil rubbings of plaster casts from the early 20th cent.

EDIT: See also 6187 (bottom row, center); unlike the others, that one was included in his original 1901 catalog (the obv. was illustrated on plate VI, but not the rev.). The palm is on the right, but so is the B (unlike yours).

Great coin, by the way!
“Collect the collectors…” John W Adams’ advice to J Orosz (Asylum 38, 2: p51)

Galleries https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=27154

Offline lawrence c

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2023, 11:08:39 pm »
Thank you very much. I'm still at the point where I struggle to decide between using the money for coins or for references. So far, I'm still relying mostly on Sear, RPC online, and the (semi) affordable volumes of RIC that I can stumble across.
Best,
Larry

Offline Anaximander

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2023, 08:42:49 am »
Huzzah!  Great acquisition, I'd say, for a rarityMy own example is the more common type. And a big thanks to Curtis JJ for posting that plate, which I haven't seen before. It validates the references I am using.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity