Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: archaic silver Greek ( denomination ? ) ID  (Read 196 times)

Offline propraetoris79

• Consul
archaic silver Greek ( denomination ? ) ID
« on: March 15, 2023, 03:03:30 pm »

Hi !

Please help to ID and denomination this coin :
10 mm, 1.90 g

Tom

Offline shanxi

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My gallery

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: archaic silver Greek ( denomination ? ) ID
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2023, 04:04:56 am »

Offline shanxi

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2023, 05:20:47 am »
@Altamura

The acsearch examples are hardly the same nominal: an average of 0.6g is too far away from 1.9g.

1.9g is of course a bit underweight compared to other heavier nominals. (The example in my link has 2.4g, others go up to 3g), but that such a corroded and worn piece is underweight is easier to believe than a factor 3 overweight.

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2023, 05:59:29 am »
... The acsearch examples are hardly the same nominal: an average of 0.6g is too far away from 1.9g. ...
I know, that's quite obvious  :). But they illustrate the difficulty in attributing these "lion mask" coins to a certain region or even city. That was my message  :).

Regards

Altamura

All coins are guaranteed for eternity