Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Byzantine billon aspron trachea  (Read 114 times)

Offline Wojciech S2

• Legionary
Byzantine billon aspron trachea
« on: March 12, 2023, 06:28:18 am »
A warm welcome to you. I am new here and apologise in advance for any mistakes.
I would very much appreciate your identification of this bowl coin. The reverse of the coin resembles Isaac II but the clothing does not match, besides the right hand holding the sceptre or labarum pointing up and not down as on his coins, the loros is missing and the cut of the robes different, also the MANUS DEI - the hand of God is missing.  The residual inscription on the left "ΔCCΠ" or "ΔЄCΠ" zo presumably refers to a despot or lord, well what kind of lord? On the left a barely visible "C" as the last letter (perhaps my illusion). Weight 3.45 diameter approx. 29 mm
thank you for help

Offline Abu Galyon

• Caesar
  • Change we can believe in.
Re: Byzantine billon aspron trachea
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2023, 11:20:49 am »
This is a Latin type, i.e. post Fourth Crusade; Hendy calls it 'Type A' and in Sear's catalogue it's listed as SBCV 2021. Usually attributed to the early years of Crusader rule under Baldwin of Flanders or his brother, Henry.

Bill R.

Offline Wojciech S2

• Legionary
Re: Byzantine billon aspron trachea
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2023, 01:23:52 pm »
This is a Latin type, i.e. post Fourth Crusade; Hendy calls it 'Type A' and in Sear's catalogue it's listed as SBCV 2021. Usually attributed to the early years of Crusader rule under Baldwin of Flanders or his brother, Henry.

Bill R.
Thank you for your help

All coins are guaranteed for eternity