Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: History in Turkish  (Read 466 times)

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
History in Turkish
« on: March 11, 2023, 01:31:23 pm »
Dear friends!

Recently, I have been working on Iberian coins and Punic legends. In the process, I came across this interesting page by one Polat Kaya: https://www.polatkaya.net/PHOENICIAN%20CITY%20OF%20GADES%20Part%203.htm
a terrible example of Turkish chauvinism.

Not only does he claim that the Carthaginians belong to the Turkic peoples, that Spanish Cadiz is a Turkish city and that Punic is a Turkish dialect, but also that Herakles, for example, is a Turkish god: Herakles comes from "er akli us", which means "wise man" in Turkish. He also does not wear a lion's scalp but a wolf's head, and this has always been a symbol of Turkish identity in Asia and Europe (I remind you of the "Grey Wolves"!).

He also notes that the English word "EYE" is pronounced exactly like the Turkish word AY, which means "moon". Which is no coincidence!

I guess history will have to be rewritten once again.

Jochen

Offline Jan P

• Consul
Re: History in Turkish
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2023, 03:08:31 pm »
Yes Jochen, by the same occasion I came along that same site !
I would advise: keep the url in memory for when one is a bit down.
Read ... and have a good laugh  :laugh: ::)!

Offline Enodia

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2023, 03:11:24 pm »
Wasn't there a guy around here some years back who claimed that all ancient coins (or was it just Greek?) were Hebrew?  😄

~ Peter

Offline Jan P

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2023, 03:31:28 pm »
And another one, who argued: this all forum was a farce, because our ancient coins were in reality only a thousend years old.

Offline Rupert

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2023, 05:51:03 pm »
Actually, how can some people argue that their coins are 2,500 years old when we only have the year 2023 now? ;)
Ducunt volentem fata, nolentem trahunt.

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2023, 08:48:50 am »
And there was a fellow with a Caracalla from Carrhae who insisted it was a coin of Attila the Hun's father.

Offline Jan P

• Consul
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2023, 09:06:33 am »
Do not bake them to brown, David  :D !

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2023, 06:07:02 pm »
There is a beautiful scene in the movie "My big fat Greek wedding" where the main character's father - a Greek ex-pat in Toronto - claims that you can tell him any word and he will tell you the Greek origin and he starts with - Kimono.

But of course that is a comedy......

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Rupert

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2023, 06:19:45 pm »
Well, that's a no-brainer. Clearly, Kimon not only designed the most beautiful coins of all time but also these beautiful garments, which he then named after himself!

Rupert ;-)
Ducunt volentem fata, nolentem trahunt.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity