Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Engraving/strike detail - intended or not?  (Read 386 times)

Offline Paul B11

• Praetorian
Engraving/strike detail - intended or not?
« on: March 11, 2023, 12:41:15 pm »
Hello. I have noticed this trident shape on the ends of many of my Byzantine coins. In this case I might expect not be surprised the cross has so much detail. But the I's? Across different coins it seems somewhat random.

My question is whether this was intended by the engraver, some sort of effect that made engraving easier or was an accidental result, some vestiage of the striking process (or wear on the die), etc. Or was it fully intended by engravers?

Please forgive if this has been discussed. I love Byz coins for the somewhat randomness of exquisite detail and artwork on some coins and very lazy/shabby work on others. And sometimes both on one coin!

Thanks...

Offline Paul B11

• Praetorian
Re: Engraving/strike detail - intended or not?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2023, 04:04:17 pm »
Here is another than it even more obvious. Almost everywhere on the coin whether it makes sense or not.

Same emperor/type (Justin II and Sofia Half Follis) but from Nicomedia instead of Constantinople this time.

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2023, 04:23:43 pm »
I think fully intended by the engravers. Adds flare!

Offline Paul B11

• Praetorian
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2023, 08:04:42 pm »

I guess so. Hammering a coin is not nano-lithography. I can't think of any other way that would be precise.

I just find it so odd that some engravers were making 16 sided polygons out of just the I in ANNO XII and so forth. Meanwhile the huge K is imbalanced. And other die makers are mailing it in with expanded retrograde legends.

Offline Curtis JJ

• Caesar
    • CONSERVATORI: Ancient Coins & Their Provenances
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2023, 11:37:47 pm »
I think fully intended by the engravers. Adds flare!

Agree about the fully intended... Decorative purpose is a good explanation. It also fits the general "Byzantine" principle of putting crosses everywhere possible.

My question: Do we see this in any other kind of "Byzantine" inscriptions? Whether Latin or Greek, in stone or papyri or mosaic or graffiti...? I don't think I've seen them elsewhere, but I don't have much background in Classics or Archaeology, so it wouldn't be a surprise if I'd missed it.

I've wondered about it before. I've assumed it may have been a combination of artistic flourish (they look like little crosses, which may have appealed, and would explain why the tradition took off then, not earlier), and the kind of guiding marks that engravers use to trace the width & distances of the letters.

You can see similar features on both of my Folles below. On the Anastasius, it's especially on the obverse legend (...ANA ... IVS...). On the Maurice Tiberius, the reverse characters (including the Large M, the cross, and monogram) have similar features all over. In fact, they're much less subtle, and have almost become primary features of the lettering. (Sorry, couldn't get better detail, using the auction photos here: NAC 46, 1184 [LINK] & CNG EA 494, 453 [LINK]. A bit hard to see, but a number of the characters on the reverse of my ex-Forum (SH36361) Justinian Follis have the same feature: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/catalog/roman-and-greek-coins.asp?zpg=47237
“Collect the collectors…” John W Adams’ advice to J Orosz (Asylum 38, 2: p51)

Galleries https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=27154

Offline Paul B11

• Praetorian
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2023, 10:52:18 am »
Good questions. Wow, nice legend on the first Follis! Love the flare on the officina of the second.

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2023, 07:58:11 pm »
Interesting, not details I had noticed before.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity