Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Tooled Claudius was it worth buying  (Read 450 times)

Offline Alan M3

• Praetorian
Tooled Claudius was it worth buying
« on: March 05, 2023, 08:24:18 am »
I strongly believe this coin was tooled; however, it was not listed in the description. I paid $120 for it. Should I return it or try to sell it? It is a nice coin, but I doubt it's worth that much.

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
Re: Tooled Claudius was it worth buying
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2023, 09:19:09 am »
What makes you think it's tooled?

Offline Alan M3

• Praetorian
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2023, 09:43:22 am »
The area around it looks like someone was picking at it. Around the bust there are some marks indicating someone has been picking there.

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2023, 10:40:52 am »
Hard to tell as the photo gets fuzzy when you zoom in - but it looks more like it was poorly cleaned.  Patina is gone from the highlights but there is still gunk around the letters - whether dirt or corrosion I don't know.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Pete B

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2023, 10:10:32 am »
try using pictures at 600+  pixels and/or over 150 kb

All coins are guaranteed for eternity