Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Roman Lead Seal?  (Read 504 times)

Offline Michael P7

• Auxiliary
Roman Lead Seal?
« on: February 08, 2023, 09:54:09 am »
Hi Folks,

I would be grateful for any information on this item, what I believe to be an ancient lead seal.

Composition is lead, size: 22mm square, the obverse is Pegasus facing right and galloping on rising groundline, set on a background of linear circles and contained in a double border frame. The reverse has a tapered oblong fixing which is 5mm long at base tapering to 3mm at top, with width of 2mm. I know that the Romans did use Pegasus on lead seals and if this is one, could it possibly have a connection to Legio XV1 Flavia Firma. They were based in the Euphrates at Samosata in the Roman province of Syria from AD117 to the 4th century and their emblem was Pegasus facing right. My thanks in advance for any enlightenment you can provide. 

All coins are guaranteed for eternity