Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Found a damaged Agathokles 317-289 BC Tetradrachm in a french market  (Read 499 times)

Jan-Pieter V

Hey everyone, first post here. I wanted to share a coin I found in a french street market for 1 euro. Sadly it's badly damaged and was probably used as a pendant. I don't even know if it's real or fake...
Some explanation about the coin I found online: https://www.cngcoins.com/Coin.aspx?CoinID=99640
However since finding it I can't stop reading about ancient coins so I think I found a new hobby ;)

I wouldn't ever want to sell it because I found it myself and it's worth more to me than it's monetary value.

Discussion question: do coins with this amount of damage even have any monetary value to you? Or is it mostly sentimental value for the finder?

Have a nice day.

Images are too large in size so here's an imgur link: https://imgur.com/a/wtJWi84

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
Re: Found a damaged Agathokles 317-289 BC Tetradrachm in a french market
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2022, 12:39:17 pm »
Hi Jan-Pieter, welcome to the forum. Others here will be able to tell you more or if it is a modern jewelry piece, but it would be helpful for you to post a photo of the other side and size and weight.

Virgil

Offline Pekka K

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2022, 01:04:32 pm »

Maybe this picture helps:

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2022, 01:42:19 pm »
My bad, I didn't see the link.

Virgil

Offline Pekka K

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2022, 02:00:38 pm »

Looks much like cast copy. Edge shows some features of seam.

Pekka K

All coins are guaranteed for eternity