Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Strange and uncommon I. Justinianus solidus - probably fake?  (Read 874 times)

Gabor P2

Strange and uncommon I. Justinianus solidus - probably fake?
« on: October 19, 2022, 05:57:02 pm »
Greetings,

This is my I. Justinianus solidus I bought 5 years ago.

I checked hundreds of portrays of Justinian I on his solidi on internet but the face on my coin significantly differs from the others.
It's style is weird for me. What is your opinion about it? Have you ever seen similar ones?

I wonder if it could be fake coin (hope not).
Are there any other suspicious signs on my coin?

Thanks for any comments and help!

Offline Obryzum

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Strange and uncommon I. Justinianus solidus - probably fake?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2022, 09:04:12 pm »
I think the coin is genuine.  The portrait is fine.  The thing that looks a little odd to me is the lettering, particularly the small letters CONOB in the exergue.  But that is not enough to condemn the coin. It raises a question about the mint, and the possibility that this might be an unofficial issue.  But the coin does not look modern.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2022, 09:32:08 pm »
It is certainly unusual.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Gabor P2

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2022, 04:27:00 pm »
Dear Joe,

Does these unusual signs suggest that this coin is not an original one?
Thank you very much for your help.

Best wishes,
Gábor

Gabor P2

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2022, 04:29:28 pm »
Quote from: Obryzum on October 20, 2022, 09:04:12 pm
I think the coin is genuine.  The portrait is fine.  The thing that looks a little odd to me is the lettering, particularly the small letters CONOB in the exergue.  But that is not enough to condemn the coin. It raises a question about the mint, and the possibility that this might be an unofficial issue.  But the coin does not look modern.

Thank you very much! 😊

All coins are guaranteed for eternity