Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: An Astounding Brockage COTD  (Read 655 times)

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • The meaning of life can be found in a coin.
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
An Astounding Brockage COTD
« on: March 10, 2022, 05:19:52 am »
A brockage is 'any coin which is mis-struck, but particularly applied to coins on which the same design is found in relief on one face and incuse on the other as a result of the preceding coin having remained on the die and left its impression on the next coin struck' (Grierson 1975, p. 193). The vast majority of brockages are from obverse dies. David Sear explains 'Reverse brockages are much rarer and more difficult to explain as they would require a new blank to be placed on top of an existing piece which had remained in the obverse or lower die after striking.' Brockages from the Flavian era are rare enough, but imagine my shock when I came across this reverse brockage from the reign of Titus. I just had to have it!

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=174953

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
Re: An Astounding Brockage COTD
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2022, 07:03:53 am »
What a "striking" piece David.  Fantastic

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2022, 05:39:50 pm »
Nice piece.  And definitely rare than obverse brockages.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Qvod perierat adhvc exstat nvmmorvm
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2022, 05:57:29 pm »
Great coin david, really superb.  The brockage detail is better defined than on most brockages I see. 
My Ancient Coin Gallery: Click here

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • The meaning of life can be found in a coin.
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2022, 11:23:55 pm »
Thank you everyone for the kind comments! I'm really thrilled to have acquired this ... especially since I've never seen a Flavian reverse brockage before!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity