Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Identify the ruler  (Read 696 times)

Offline Henning J

• Legionary
Identify the ruler
« on: January 22, 2022, 03:46:32 am »
Hello!
I have an interesting roman gold coin that I would like to know more about. Which Roman ruler? And why is the coin repaired in this unusual but very fine way? And is it rare? The weight is 4,57g.
Regards Henning.

Offline shanxi

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
Re: Identify the ruler
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2022, 08:53:58 am »

Offline SC

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2022, 09:18:24 am »
Some ancient coins were holed.  This was done for a variety of reasons - often to make a piece of jewelry such as a pendant.

Occasionally a coin with a hole was repaired.  Holes in bronze coins were usually plugged with lead, but in precious metal coins it was usually done with the same metal as the coin was made of.

It is unclear why such coins were repaired - perhaps in an attempt to put them back into circulation.  Some are done in a way that tries to hide the repair - your's clearly does not.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Henning J

• Legionary
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2022, 09:49:42 am »
Thank you everyone for the explainations!

Regards Henning

Offline Henning J

• Legionary
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2022, 10:07:04 am »
Here is a closeup picture where they have fixed the hole. There is a pattern, so they did spent some time to the coin.  I know it is lower the value on the coin, but  i think it is a more interesting coin whit this repair, and it unique.
Regards henning.

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2022, 10:46:41 am »
That's very interesting.

Offline SC

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2022, 01:01:42 pm »
I am not sure how much of the paterning is intentional.

It appears to me that instead of being filled with molten gold, or a slid gold plug, the hole was filled with gold foil folded tightly to form a plug.

The design might not be one of artistic intention as much as of the origami-like folds required to make a tight fitting foil plug.

It looks like it consists of at least two pieces.  Maybe it was too large for a single foil plus.  First an outer donut-like ring which was tamped to tightly fill the perimeter and then the central plug.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Qvod perierat adhvc exstat nvmmorvm
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2022, 03:29:20 pm »
If I had to guess, it was plugged in antiquity to get the weight up to a normal solidus range so it could be spent.  But that's only a guess.  I think it was a function repair, not an aesthetics improvement attempt.
My Ancient Coin Gallery: Click here

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2022, 11:14:45 pm »
As an aside, that looks like a very big hole for use as jewelry. Would there be another reason for putting a hole this size it it?

Virgil

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Qvod perierat adhvc exstat nvmmorvm
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2022, 04:50:46 pm »
As an aside, that looks like a very big hole for use as jewelry. Would there be another reason for putting a hole this size it it?

Virgil

Tough to say - lots of things happened when civilization fell into neglect in the western half of the empire after the 470's.  What seems like no big deal in the east, would have been seen as wondrous artistry by many living in the dark ages of what is now western europe. 
My Ancient Coin Gallery: Click here

R. Cormier, Ottawa

All coins are guaranteed for eternity