Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Searching more information  (Read 702 times)

Offline Mario T

• Praetorian
Searching more information
« on: December 10, 2021, 10:38:04 am »
Good morning. I am looking for more information on this oil lamp, identified only generically, with a strange figure. At the bottom there are signs,
perhaps an inscription. Thanks for any suggestions

Offline Strobilus2

• IMPERATOR
  • Praetorian
  • Ancient Lamps Expert
    • RomQ Collection - Ancient Lamps
Re: Searching more information
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2021, 10:10:51 pm »
The cursive inscription on the base of your lamp reads MAVRICI (on two lines) for Mauricius, a lampmaker based in North Africa during the second half of the 2nd to early 3rd centuries AD.

Another lamp by this maker is shown here:
http://www.romulus2.com/lamps/database/lamp.php?82

Without attributes, I'm hesitant to identify the male profile bust depicted on the discus but Neptune is a possibility.
David Knell

Offline Mario T

• Praetorian
Re: Searching more information
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2021, 10:04:19 am »
Many thanks, i agree that the profile can be identified with Neptune

All coins are guaranteed for eternity