Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: RIC VII CONSTANTINOPLE 61 (Constantius II)  (Read 604 times)

Offline Lech Stępniewski

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • NOT IN RIC
RIC VII CONSTANTINOPLE 61 (Constantius II)
« on: January 25, 2021, 08:23:07 am »

Probably a modern forgery. Not in Fake Coin Reports but I don't like this coin.

- strange mintmark CONSO; "O" does not make any sense as an officina letter
- smooth surface so these green deposits looks like a deliberate addition to deceive a buyer
- portrait with unusual "pearl" decoration of paludamentum; "pearls" on neck resemble necklace - on genuine coins there is sometimes a part of cuirass

- offered by seller which at the same time offered well known forgery imitating mule form Thessalonica (attested in Fake Coin Reports)

[REMOVED BY ADMIN]

Any comments?
Lech Stępniewski
NOT IN RIC
Poland

Offline Heliodromus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: RIC VII CONSTANTINOPLE 61 (Constantius II)
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2021, 09:42:00 am »
I have a hard time believing that anyone is faking coins to this level of quality - with hand engraved dies - without any apparent profit motive. The emperor and type are too common and cheap, and we don't see the market flooded with these as we do for poorer quality fakes like the "mule" from the seller you noted.

From a quick scan of the sellers other LRBs I don't notice other fakes apart than the "mule", so I doubt they even realize that one is fake.

Here are a few coins from the ANS for comparison (plus resized coin under discussion). I don't know what that "pearl" decoration on the cloak is meant to represent, but it's not unique to that coin.

The officina letter could be a partial theta or B - something similar to one of these ANS examples.

Ben

Offline Lech Stępniewski

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • NOT IN RIC
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2021, 10:25:50 am »
I have a hard time believing that anyone is faking coins to this level of quality - with hand engraved dies - without any apparent profit motive.

I agree that there are some counter-arguments possible. And that's why I wrote "probably forgery" and asked for comments.

I don't know what that "pearl" decoration on the cloak is meant to represent, but it's not unique to that coin.

Yes, it could be "an engraver's whim".

The officina letter could be a partial theta or B - something similar to one of these ANS examples.

I also agree. However, rare on generally well preserved coin.

But what about surface? Partially looks like "brand new" or perfectly cleaned so why these deposits were left?

All my reservation are one by one not especially significant but four in the case of one coin makes me suspicious.
Lech Stępniewski
NOT IN RIC
Poland

Offline Hydatius

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2021, 07:48:19 am »
I have no problem with it. Θ is a well represented officina in this series and that's probably what follows the mint mark. The necklace is fine and a normal part of the bust. It's still there in the fifth century. I can't comment on the patina and leave it to others with more experience. There's nothing that looks odd about it except perhaps for the very distinct pearled edge of the cloak.
  Richard
Non tam praeclarum est scire Latine quam turpe nescire.

Offline Lech Stępniewski

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • NOT IN RIC
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2021, 08:51:18 am »
The necklace is fine and a normal part of the bust.

To be precise, there is no necklace on this type of bust. It is a part of cuirass to protect the neck. Something like metal collar.

And as I said: all these things are rather insignificant when taken individually (deformed officina letter on well preserved coin, "necklace", "pearl" decoration, green deposits on smooth surface) but together it seems strange. At least for me.

Lech Stępniewski
NOT IN RIC
Poland

All coins are guaranteed for eternity