Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Extremely Rare Byzantine Coin.  (Read 489 times)

Horst H

Extremely Rare Byzantine Coin.
« on: July 20, 2015, 11:52:19 am »
This Byzantine coin is exremely rare. I searched the whole internet and didn't find any other coin that looks like this.

Can anyone identify it?

Offline Abu Galyon

• Caesar
  • Change we can believe in.
Re: Extremely Rare Byzantine Coin.
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2015, 02:10:25 pm »
Perhaps SBCV 1011 (which is not rare at all). There may be other possibilities; I can't really make out anything on the reverse except green encrustations.

Bill R.

Horst H

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2015, 04:32:31 pm »
The theme looks very similar, but the plumes of the helmet are of equal length on my coin. There are other differences as well.

Thanks for your help.

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2015, 04:48:06 pm »
Such minor differences are common on Byzantine bronze coins of this period and meaningless.

Offline helvetica

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Helvetia Libera Deo Gratia
    • ID Help pages + RIC lists + www.wildwinds.com
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2015, 09:11:02 am »
>but the plumes of the helmet are of equal length on my coin

Differences in such relatively minor details on late Roman and Byzantine coins are,
as djmacdo says, quite common and have no influence on the identification of the coin.

Such coins were often struck from a large number of different dies, which broke,
cracked, got stolen or lost, so had to be replaced by new dies usually engraved by
different engravers whose interpretation differed from others.

Important differences on such a coin would be if the IQ-cross over M over officina letter
in the left and right fields had their positions reversed, or the plume had been omitted.

I often receive coin images by email for identification, for which the owner, usually a
new collector, is convinced that his or her coin is unique because the position of the
diadem ties on, for example, a common coin of Constantius II, fall in a different way,
or a VOT wreath has 2 more leaves.
It is quite a common error which new collectors make, being used, as they are, to
current modern coins, which are generally identical except for the date.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity