Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Collection Strategies for the New Collector  (Read 36307 times)

Offline Simon

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Tetartera Collector
    • Byzantine Tetartera
Re: Collection Strategies for the New Collector
« Reply #50 on: January 03, 2017, 08:19:49 am »
I very much agree with Curtis, I think he is absolutely correct. I am a collector , have been all my life, granted I do love history but with each collection I have had my prized possessions and those have always created a sense of pride. My profession is Art Sales and people do collect art for all the reasons he listed as well. Collectables are desires.

I started my Ancient coin collections with Roman Empresses, I moved on until a coin that I found in a mixed lot caught my attention. I choose Byzantine coins not because I am deeply religious, I just appreciated the coins and I loved the fact that there are fewer collectors of mid medieval Byzantine bronze, it was a time period that has the most potential for new finds and new information. I never thought it would take this long to complete my collection but I then realized mine might be the first complete collection of my denomination.

I recommend the new collector starts broadly and then narrows down their collection focus to a common theme. Knowledge is power, so when you start getting serious about your collection you increase your knowledge regarding that theme.
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5633 My main collection of Tetartera. Post reform coinage.

Offline White

• Auxiliary
Re: Collection Strategies for the New Collector
« Reply #51 on: October 18, 2018, 10:01:41 am »
Collect what you enjoy.  That is my best advice for a new collector.  

For me, I like coins with a good story.  The ultimate story coin is the EID MAR denarius.  Fortunately, since I cannot afford an EID MAR, almost every coin has a story.  I like to get a coin and then learn the story behind it.  That is what I enjoy.  

Every collector should collect what they enjoy most.  

As an extremely new collector, this is what I've been following - that and the focused specialty which keeps me out of bankruptcy court.   :)
For now, I've been trying to stay focused on Rome mint with specific years or emperors.  God help me when I branch out...

All coins are guaranteed for eternity