Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: it reminds of a roman republican denarius (appr. 130-120 b.c.), but is it?  (Read 538 times)

Hinkstapper

This silver piece of just under 4.5 grams has been a question mark to me for the last 40 odd years. I bought it on a stamp and coin market in Barcelona, Spain. Back then one expert called it an obvious fake, because of style oddities. A dealer however wanted to buy it right away, without asking questions or telling me what he thought of it.

Later I saw a comparison between a Celtic coin, struck under Roman permission and its official Roman model. This led me to the believe that my coin might be a similar issue. The missing laurel wreath on the reverse side was probably left out on purpose. Anyone trying to produce a copy of an existing coin would not leave out such an obvious detail. A Celtic twist of pride?

Has anyone come across a coin like this? Or does anyone own the Roman original?

Offline benito

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
  • quousque tandem abutere Sadigh pecunia nostra
Celtic imitation of a Q. Fabius Maximus. 127 BC. AR denarius.
My original RR is far better but i do not have a pic yet. 
Here another.

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
That's an amazing quality imitation.

Perhaps Phil Davis might comment.

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
The breaks in the obverse field may indicated it is plated.

Offline Volodya

• Procurator Monetae
  • Consul
    • Imitations of Roman Republican Denarii
I love that! I've not seen any imitation quite like it. I'd be surprised if it's plated, although obviously I can't be sure from the picture. Spain is a surprising place for this to turn up. I'm aware of a handful of good silver imitations from Spain, but nothing anywhere near as dramatic as this. I have no really cogent suggestion as to who might have made it, although like any coin it may have traveled quite some distance from the place it was struck. An origin in the Balkans can't be ruled out.

Phil Davis

Offline Lee S

• Comitia Curiata
  • Conservator
  • Caesar
  • γεια μας !!!
What a wondeful coin!!! Thanks for sharing!!! +++ ;D +++

Hinkstapper

Thanks everybody for your replies.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity