Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Anyone ever clean gallic potin coins?  (Read 1505 times)

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Trying not to screw up...one coin at a time...
Anyone ever clean gallic potin coins?
« on: June 03, 2010, 10:44:41 pm »
Evening all. I have never cleaned a true "potin" coin (not a late Alexandrian tet, but a gallic cast potin) before and was wondering if there was anything I should avoid. I am not familiar with the material so I do not know what the corrosion looks like or will do or for that matter what soaks/chems I should avoid. Any advice would be great.

The pic below shows a bit, but most of the top stuff came off in a powdery flurry and what is left looks like old bronze disease (the reddish cast powerdery junk) along with some of the blue greenish powdery stuff that is seen on top. The metal seems very sound, but I am afraid of digging too far.

So far I have just been mechanically cleaning and was wondering if there was anything I should add to the process or avoid altogether.\

Thanks
Chris
Salus Populi Suprema Lex Esto - Missouri 1822

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=19691

Offline Mayadigger

• Caesar
  • Romans, lock your wives way!
    • Noble Roman Coins
Re: Anyone ever clean gallic potin coins?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2010, 10:34:07 pm »
Ave Chris,

Never cleaned such a coin. But...what you're describing certainly sounds like, and looks like (at least to me) BD.

Shooting from the hip here, I'd suggest that you treat your Potin with BD Killer as per the instructions, but leave the reverse alone; it appears to be disease free. The following may take a few soaks.

Use any hand-held tool (bamboo skewer, common DP, dried rose thorn, etc.) that works best for you to remove all of the soft green/blue fuzz. Repeat the soaking process until all is removed. Once you are certain that all of the fuzzy bits have been removed, allow your coin to rest in DW for 24-48 hours. Remove and place in your oven for 2-3 hours at 250 degrees to dry it out. At this point it should be BD free, but keep an eye on it; if there is still BD, you'll see it return 30-60 days later.

Best I can do,

Kevin
"Goodbye, Livia: never forget our marriage!"

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2010, 11:06:44 am »
Thanks Kev, that is how I am doing it. Per the article linked below, it seems that: "The word “potin” was the name given by 19th century metallurgists to a special alloy of bronze, which contained an unusually high percentage of tin (up to 25 percent), and quite often an appreciable percentage of lead as well." So, it looks like BD could indeed be the culprit. I'll post after pics when completed.

Chris

PS Pardon this stupid question (and YES, there are stupid questions! lol  :P ), but would skipping the oven drying be advisable due to the higher lead content?
C.

A pretty good and concise article on gallic potin coinage: http://www.ancientimports.com/introtopotinsofgaul.html

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2010, 04:46:20 pm »
It might be wise to go carefully! I find that if I use a gas oven turned to its lowest level, with the door ajar, it'll gently melt out a comb of beeswax. If wax is safe I'd say potin should be at that sort of setting.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2010, 09:12:24 pm »
Thank you, Robert. That sounds like just the ticket.

Chris

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2010, 08:52:49 am »
All right...it is as done as I am getting it. Potin, it seems, is just as solid as bronze. No issues with heat, and the standard BD treatments do not seem to harm the material. I was suprised to see that the material itself is very brassy and yellow under the dark patina. For full disclosure sake, I hit the obverse with dellars (soaked it up overnight) and then hit it lightly with my silver brush. All in all it turned out pretty good, to my eyes anyway. :)

Chris

Boviolles(?) Mint, Celtic Gaul, Leuci cast potin, c. 70-52 B.C. Potin, 18.6mm 2.99g, BMC Celtic III 422
O: Crude stylized head l. with three locks of hair, wearing wreath
R: Boar left, fleur-de-lis ornament below

All coins are guaranteed for eternity