Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Interesting Constantius I from Lyons  (Read 1272 times)

Offline leetoone

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Yorkshire, England
    • Lee Toone
Interesting Constantius I from Lyons
« on: September 29, 2007, 06:42:47 am »
An interesting Constantius from Lyons from the RIC VI series 73-174, but this bust type does not seem to be listed. Similar to RIC 167 but with spear over right shoulder rather than sceptre. A note for RIC 87 (footnote 4 on page 249) suggests than Voetter's spear "not infrequently stands also for sceptre". Does this apply the other way round?

Any help from those more knowledgeable about Lyons would be gratefully received.

Lee

Offline maridvnvm

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Interesting Constantius I from Lyons
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2007, 04:38:11 pm »
Lee,
Can you pleae provide a detailed image of the tip of the spear? Bastien does not note this but type with spear, just sceptre and all the plate examples of this bust that I have examined are sceptre.
Regards,
Martin

Offline leetoone

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Yorkshire, England
    • Lee Toone
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2007, 01:36:19 pm »
Here is a detail photo Martin.

It looks to be a clear spear to me but I have the coin in hand. If you need a better shot, I can try a different lighting arrangement. Let me know.

Lee

Offline maridvnvm

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2007, 03:30:52 pm »
Lee,
Looking at the plates in Bastien, the coins given as "holding spear", show much more exaggerated barbs to the spear tip. The rounded looking tip to your coin looks llike the "holding sceptre" types. That's all that I can say from the image provided. As you say, having the coin in hand is normally the best indication however.
Regards,
Martin

Offline leetoone

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Yorkshire, England
    • Lee Toone
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2007, 03:47:48 pm »
Martin

Comparison with other examples is probably more important than my personal opinion though! Here is another detail photo, Not sure that it gives much more though. Would be interested to see a Bastien example if you have time to post one.

Lee

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ah Allectus, my trusted friend.......
    • Later Roman Coinage
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2007, 03:35:43 am »
Hi,

I've been able to examine this coin in the flesh now and, although the design detail in question is a little soft (so not surprising that it doesn't show up too clearly in the photo) the end is triangular with barbs visible. I would say that, in my opinion, it is a spear over the emperor's shoulder.

Regards,

Mauseus

Offline Adrianus

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2007, 08:26:06 am »
Hi all,

Having also seen the coin in hand, I agree with Mauseus. The barbs are small but clearly visible in the flesh so to speak.

Regards,

Adrianus

All coins are guaranteed for eternity