Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Another Aurelian Coin Question  (Read 1234 times)

Offline rick fox

• Caesar
  • Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris
Another Aurelian Coin Question
« on: December 28, 2006, 08:09:46 pm »
I recently found this Aerelian in my safe.  As I hold it in my hand, it looks nearly "Near Mint" (At least to me).

I however have a couple of questions:

1. The Exergue has *P  I know this is not the Phoenician mint as that would be a dolphin
What is *P?

2. The Reverse has a part missing (from the coin strike) (Aurelian's head is missing) and the Obverse has what looks to be a double strike (top right part of his head).

What caused this?  A clashed die?  If so, how could a coin with 2 imperfections get released from the mint?
Iacta alea est  - 'The die has been cast' (Julius Caesar Jan 10, 49 BC Rubicon River, Italy)

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
Re: Another Aurelian Coin Question
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2006, 09:13:07 pm »
It looks like RIC 216, Common, minted at Siscia, Period 2. P is for Officina Prima. I've seen coins that were issued wirh worse faults than that one. Mostly, quality control was basic at best.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

black-prophet

Re: Another Aurelian Coin Question
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2006, 09:15:34 pm »
I believe the Mint to be Siscia.I don't see the double strike but I see what I think is a flat strike where parts of the die are more worn than others.Ancient coins were often released with many imperfections as quality control was not really that important,getting the coins out to pay the troops and the people was.It's one of the things that makes Ancient coins so "interesting".

All coins are guaranteed for eternity