Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Roman Provincial - Nike?  (Read 661 times)

Dave S3

Roman Provincial - Nike?
« on: September 25, 2021, 10:11:34 pm »
The obverse seems to have a young ruler, perhaps Alexander Severus or Geta?

The reverse has a somewhat delicate depiction of Nike I think, the readable inscription seems to read "EΠITI" above and "ΣΔΔT" below. Likely both have further inscription after, and possibly before.

The coin weighs 3.7g and is 17mm wide.

Not a big deal if I can't ID this, I have three of them, and this  miserable example is the best, but I'd still like to ID it :)  Hopefully it is easy for someone.

regards
Dave

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: Roman Provincial - Nike?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2021, 01:51:24 am »
Perhaps this one from Smyrna under Claudius: https://rpc.ashmus.ox.ac.uk/coins/1/2476

Regards

Altamura

Dave S3

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2021, 02:25:45 am »
 +++

Thats the one :)  (or extremely close, good enough for me!)   Much appreciated.

regards
Dave

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2021, 04:39:24 pm »
f you will turn the photo so the coin appears upright and crop you photos so we get bigger images, we may be able to do more.

Dave S3

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2021, 06:52:46 pm »
Hi DJMAcdo,

I'm not sure what happened with these photos, they were correctly aligned on my PC when I uploaded them. Yes, I will crop more next upload.

regards
Dave

Offline v-drome

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2021, 12:23:17 am »
I am not sure, but I think it has to do with some automatic feature that uploads the photos in landscape mode (horizontal) vs. portrait mode (vertical).  When I click on the photos above they do pop up vertically with the correct orientation for the coin.  I have seen this happen occasionally with other posts, also.

V-drome

All coins are guaranteed for eternity