Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Fake pertinax  (Read 570 times)

Offline Odoacer

• Consul
Fake pertinax
« on: April 27, 2014, 08:05:26 am »
Dear list,

This coins was sold as a find and as a Septimius for 30 euro. Is it genuine? 18 mm, 2 gr

Thank you!

Offline SRukke

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Go ahead, make my day.
    • My gallery. Started January 2009
Re: Fake pertinax
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2014, 12:06:19 pm »
Dear list,

This coins was sold as a find and as a Septimius for 30 euro. Is it genuine? 18 mm, 2 gr

Thank you!

Probably a cast.
The obverse bust is a known cast that looks to have been mated to a different reverse.

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2014, 12:43:21 pm »
The coin looks authentic to me, mint of Alexandria not Rome.

The other cast was merely made from another authentic coin struck from the same obverse die, but differently centered and combined with a different reverse type. We should be wary of condemning genuine coins, just because a forger used another coin from the same authentic dies as the seed coin for his reproductions! It is only an exact correspondence in centering, wear, and damage, such as that between coins 2 and 3 in Romanorvm's illustration above, that clearly condemns a coin as a cast.
Curtis Clay

Online Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2014, 03:02:08 pm »
Not that it is necessary after Curtis has expressed his expert opinion, but I agree. I don't see anything suspicious. If you did not buy it from an eBay seller on the NFSL, it is probably genuine.   
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline dougsmit

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek & Roman Coins
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2014, 03:18:33 pm »
Curtis mentioned that this was a coin of the Alexandria mint rather than Rome but possibly could have elaborated on how many Alexandria mint Pertinax denarii have hit the market in the past 20 years and how many of them are on poor enough metal that those with traditional values learned before that time would question the 'look' of the coins.  I believe these Alexandria mint denarii outnumber the Rome mint ones and they certainly outnumber the Septimius Severus Alexandria mint denarii if what we see on the market is any indicator.  Of course dealers will always promote a common Pertinax over a rare Septimius but this might just be one case where you would have been better served if the dealer's original ID had been correct.  I can't say I believe any Septimius denarius is worth more than an equal Pertinax but I can say that I wish I had not been so quick to buy my Pertinax coins from Alexandria when I first became aware of their existence and wrongly thought they were rare.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity