Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Nomination NFSL numismatiklanz  (Read 4669 times)

Offline Dominic T

• Caesar
Nomination NFSL numismatiklanz
« on: May 08, 2021, 07:48:00 am »
He keeps selling these Mark Antony Legionary denarii after being warned. Last week it was a Julius Caesar brockage rejected by NGC as a counterfeit.
DT

http://www.ebaystores.com/numismatiklanz

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Re: Nomination NFSL numismatiklanz
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2021, 08:20:33 am »
I have been wondering for years when Lanz would be nominated. Adding them to the NFSL means we think that nobody should buy from Lanz on eBay, not ever, because they are a notorious fraud. Opinions?
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline dwarf

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2021, 08:54:30 am »
Unfortunately I agree.
He just doesn´t stop selling blatant forgeries, although knowing the coins to be false.
No one can stop him, as he quit all dealer´s associations.

Regards
Klaus

Offline Nemonater

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2021, 09:44:51 am »
I believe he is the essence of notorious.  Is there anyone else as well known for selling fakes?

Offline Din X

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2021, 10:52:49 am »
"The sellers on this list knowingly and intentionally sell fakes."
Lanz is neither knowingly nor intentionally selling fakes, because if Lanz is notified he generally always is withdrawing fakes and "knowingly" would mean that this person gets bulletproof or good and convincing evidences that the coin must be fake.
If you write, "This coin is fake", "this coin is a published fake or die match to published fake" or "Expert or authentication service thinks it is fake" , without mentioning why they are supposed to be fakes you can be sure many dealers and auction houses will not withdraw them and ignore your message!

I have warned a huge US auction house too (it has an authentication service ^^), that their Syracuse drachm is a transfer die fake, I have the dies with a die break only present in my transfer die, this die break is not in ancient dies.
So I could connect my transfer die with the fake 100%.
They refused to withdraw the fake and sold it !!!
They said that they have the coin in hand and patina is old and I do not have the coin in hand so I can not know and who I am to tell them such things (so very polemic and aggresive message).
You can be sure that I will not buy form them again and that their catalogues the new ones will find their way directly to waste bin (the old ones are already in waste bin)
I wrote them that they are rumors that this forgers would use ancnient coins as planchets or they managed to make artificial patinas very close to authentic patinas.
They did not care!
But they did withdrawn the very obvoious Aitna cast fake, of which I wrote them in another email and which should not fool amateurs but which fooled them even when they had it in hand. ;D
And they had to withdraw a very obvious pressed Demetrios Tetradrachm from Beirut school. :tongue:
I have notified them in past, too about fakes and published fakes t and some they have wthdrawn and some not.
So may I nominate them, they sold knowingly fakes?
Lanz would have withdrawn such fakes, if being notified and if you have good evidence for them being fake.

Lanz had 2 Lipanoff fakes recently in its ebay auction, it seems like someone has warned him about the CLODIUS ALBINUS and so this fake has been withdrawn but no one seems to recognize the other Lipanoff

Albinus withdrawn

https://www.ebay.de/itm/303979889080?mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=707-53477-19255-0&campid=5338722076&toolid=10001

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/fakes/displayimage.php?pos=-5245

It seems like no one told him about Octavian (Aplustre of the Lipanoff fake is very wrong and strange engraved)

https://www.ebay.de/itm/373551365130?mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=707-53477-19255-0&campid=5338722076&toolid=10001

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/fakes/displayimage.php?pos=-5192

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/fakes/displayimage.php?pos=-10560

Back to the legionary Denarii, I worte already why I suspect them to be fake but this are only arguments and they are not bulletproof so I understand when someone still has a good feeling, they have fooled other dealers and auciton houses, too.
Dominic T  are you now a leginoary denarii expert?
Do you know how many fakes are in Lanz auctions and how high this % is compared to other dealers and auction houses?
So if his amount of fakes is maybe a little bit worse than average, there are auction houses with higher % of fakes and he is only withdrawing fakes if he thinks that they are fakes like other aution houses and dealers,too.
I think it would be only fair if we would then nominate auction houses who have same % or higher than Lanz and who are refusing to withdraw fakes , too (they of course think like Lanz that some fakes would be authentic).
Dominic T do you have experience concering the notificiation of auction houses and dealers about fakes and if yes how much and based on this experience have you never had the case that some were ignoring warnings and refused to withdraw fake even if you had much better evidence than we have in case of legionary?
We are all humans some have problems with legionary denarii others had for example recently problems ( 16-17.January 2021) with a Philip II, Le Rider 114 cast tetradrachm etc.

"Julius Caesar brockage rejected by NGC as a counterfeit"
I think that most ebay listings are done by his employees (I do not even know if he is still alive, his ancient art collection was sold recently on ebay at his store, so I am worried because he is old and we have Corona at the moment).
And fakes can slip through, we are all humans.
I assume he would have withdrawn the imho fake if he would have been notified about it and if you have evidence that the coin is fake.
And that the coin has been condemned by NGC is not helping except you know why they have condemend the coin and this arguments are conclusive/persuading.
I understand that some in USA think NGC is the best if it comes to authentication, I respect that Americans think so.
In Europe (collectors, many dealers and auciton houses) are more interested in arguments than in opinions no matter from whom they come.
This coin looks fake (hand cut dies), but to be honest I have never seen a fake from this dies before but he had other very suspicious coins with same style Otho, Caesar, Caesar,Clara, Titus  etc in his ebay autions before (and I think a reputlable auction house has sold one of the Othos same dies too). But they all seem to be so far unpublished and the style is not always so bad if you compare to authentic specimens. And I think we had a thread about them in the past already here in forum.

https://www.ebay.de/itm/LANZ-ROME-AR-BROCKAGE-DENARIUS-C-IULIUS-CAESAR-INCUSE-CORONA-AUREA-RARE-TEZ596-/233979307844?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286

Offline maridvnvm

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2021, 01:34:26 pm »
Unfortuantely they have become worse as time has gone by. They seem to systematically mix in fakes (many of which are well know and published) with their stock. This is either due to a massive lack of basic diligence or malicious intent to fool the unwary. If it were my call alone to make I would add them to the list.
Martin

Offline Din X

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2021, 02:05:21 pm »
I think that most  collections and especially consignments of resellers offered to dealers or auction houses are polluted with fakes.
I think most consignments to Lanz are made by resellers who buy them at local markets and bringing them to Lanz to resell them with profit.
He is selling mainly cheap low quality coins and there the chance to have fakes in is much higher.
Some dealers and auction houses are better than others to remove this fakes.
I am certain, that in the original consignments brought to Lanz are many more fakes, which will be removed and not added to his ebay listings.
Auction houses who only offer expensive collections with old pedigree will have much less problems because there will be much less or no fakes in such collections.
When I started to collect seriously I went to Gorny to check my coins in hand, he did for free and found several cast fakes and fakes, buying form ebay is risky ^^.
He said that collections form collectors who buy form ebay are full with fakes.

I heard a story a collection was consigned to Leu, Silvia hurter has removed many fakes consignor was angry but catalogue was already printed consignor considered to go to other aution house to sell them but they could convince him/her to still sell through Leu.
The fakes have been sold later by another aution house who thought that they would be authentic or they did not care if authentic or not.

When I was arguing with Lanz about a coin I thought is fake that he was later withdrawing, he showed that he was always worried to not piss of the consignors, so he needs to be very sure that the coins he is withdrawing are really fake, if not the consignors (powersellers)  can go to other sellers there are more than enough who care much less about fakes and reputation than Lanz. And Lanz would be bankrupt. I think he would never sell knowingly and intentionally fakes but I think he is worring much more about the consignors than the buyers because without consignors he will be bankrupt and his emplyees would lose their jobs too. But there will be always enough buyers. He is responsible for employees, too. He is a tough buisnessman and I think you have to be like this to survive in Munich with so many competitors.

I honestly doubt that this nomination will change anything even if he will be added, there will be always buyers as long as he is offering good material, I buy coins and not the seller.
And I would only and I am only buying coins from him of which I am 100% sure that they are authentic, because it seems to be difficult in some cases if it is not 100% clear if a coin is fake or not to get the money back.

If the ""The sellers on this list knowingly and intentionally sell fakes." will be changed for example to sellers who are offering many fakes or making clear that he is not intentinally is selling fakes then his nomination would be ok for me but we should look for the behavior of other dealers and auciton houses too and not only at Lanz who seem to be the manifestation a very bad coin seller for some and other see it more differentiated.

Again to pretend someone is selling knowingly fakes is a very hard accusation and is resulting in injurious falsehood.
It is always allowed to say facts, if it would be true three would not be any consequences for people who say so.
If it is not true it is something very serious and can have serious consequences at least in Germany.

"Quod licet Iovi, non licet bovi"

It seems to be wrong what he is doing but others (dealers/auction houses) are doing the same and there it seems to be ok.
If two are doing the same it seems to be not always the same.
That is my problem.

The main problem is the word "intentionally" because I know he is not doing it intentionally, he really thinks that they are authentic.
This criteria should be removed and written offering many or too many fakes on ebay and sometimes problems for customers to get an refund for supposed fakes like MIthradates of which he thinks that they are authetnic, then he could be added to list.

If a dealer or auciton house is not withdrawing a fake it can be the fault of auction house or of the notifeier if he is not explaining and proving well enough that the coin must be fake.

Offline Din X

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2021, 02:46:30 pm »
Unfortuantely they have become worse as time has gone by. They seem to systematically mix in fakes (many of which are well know and published) with their stock. This is either due to a massive lack of basic diligence or malicious intent to fool the unwary. If it were my call alone to make I would add them to the list.
Martin

Ebay shop is imho most likely done mainly or only by his employees and they are not good or we can even say bad in detecting fakes.
Incompetence or "massive lack of basic diligence" if it comes to fakes is of course not good and a serious problem.
At leat you tried to word it much more objective than others but the problem is here again the word "intentionally" which is not true here.

"The sellers listed below are notorious fake sellers. We do not list sellers that make an occasional error. The sellers on this list knowingly and intentionally sell fakes. ..... These sellers are criminals and frauds."

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=18502.0

And of course the US auction house should not be added to nfs (they would never sell intentionally fakes), I only wanted to make clear that others are not always withdrawing fakes even if you have very good evidence for because they still can honestly think that they are not fake.
And this guy there was very rude, so I will not help and buy from them again, that is all.

Offline okidoki

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=37270
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2021, 03:46:14 pm »
As remember correctly i mailed lanz 2x about a fake and about a tooled coin, with he did not mention it was tooled  
i cant remember about the tooled coin, but the fake coin was removed

He does not belong on our list i believe, his name does pop up every now and then selling bad coins 
All the Best,
Eric
There are no strangers, only friends you do not know yet.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=37270

Offline Minos

• Caesar
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2021, 04:17:24 pm »
Once bought a coin in one of his mail bid sale that turned out to be fake. He did accepted the return and refunded me, but later resold the coin on ebay...

Offline Dominic T

• Caesar
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2021, 04:34:03 pm »
If a real expert opinion is important to you, here's what Barry Murphy wrote in 2019 :"Lanz sells a lot of real coins. The problem is he also sell quite a few forgeries and repaired coins and is normally not willing to give a refund, at least that’s the story that’s been repeated by quite a few collectors in various forums. He quit the IAPN to avoid having to give a refund on a $30,000 fake."

And I'm sorry you are "extremely insulted" by my words about ASD, but didn't you publicly told  it on another forum ? And by the way, you lost all credibility since you admitted that Lanz gave you coins in the past and also stop hiding behind a fake identity; tell your real name if you want to defend the man.

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Qvod perierat adhvc exstat nvmmorvm
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2021, 04:46:55 pm »
Once bought a coin in one of his mail bid sale that turned out to be fake. He did accepted the return and refunded me, but later resold the coin on ebay...

I'm not sure where I stand on Lanz for the NFSL, but if he accepted an acknowledged fake coin back and then re-sold it as genuine, that is a serious ethical lapse.
My Ancient Coin Gallery: Click here

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline Din X

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2021, 05:26:01 pm »
If a real expert opinion is important to you, here's what Barry Murphy wrote in 2019 :"Lanz sells a lot of real coins. The problem is he also sell quite a few forgeries and repaired coins and is normally not willing to give a refund, at least that’s the story that’s been repeated by quite a few collectors in various forums. He quit the IAPN to avoid having to give a refund on a $30,000 fake."

And I'm sorry you are "extremely insulted" by my words about ASD, but didn't you publicly told  it on another forum ? And by the way, you lost all credibility since you admitted that Lanz gave you coins in the past and also stop hiding behind a fake identity; tell your real name if you want to defend the man.

I am Amentia (German forum and forgerynetwork) and Din x (here) I was here before at forvm with nebukadnezar nick I  and lamoneta (baka) and I was at cfdl many years ago for a short time (Amentia) !
And on some French and German boards but I did not post there or do not remember to post there, sometimes registration is needed to see pictures so I registered but I think I have deleted most accounts and on another us board Amentia have forgotten name of it.
And I made a mistake on German board so some there know my identity :)
Who is "lolli", what the f. are you talking about?
I would never defend someone if I would not think he/she is a good guy/woman and honest.
Dominic T  I would never defend you no matter how much you would offer me I have honor I only defend people who I do not respect (you insulted me badly).
I have posted more than enough fakes of Lanz to a German board to show that I am not connected to him in any way ( I post fakes there because we have greally great members there who then will notify the auction houses and dealers, I hate to do this to be the sucker who brings bad news and who has to argue with some of them till they will withdraw them and to warn there members about this fakes).

The question is not who I am, the question is if LANZ is intentionally is selling fakes, which is necessary to be added to the nfs list, which is for criminals who sell intentionally and knowingly fake and this is obviously not true for Lanz!
I doubt that Barry Murphy would ever be so stupid to say that Lanz is selling intentionally fakes, he would rather say like you quoted that there are fakes in his listings in the eyes of some too many and that some seem to have problems (I guess he is referring Mithradates) to get their money back. This would be true and allowed to say, it is allowed to say facts.
But to make false defamatory statement (ASD, implying Lanz is criminal who sells intentionally fakes, by adding him to a list for such people)could be actually a case for court, the victims needn´t to go to court but they could do.
When I wrote LANZ in past about fakes he has almost always withdrawn them  and I have watched his auctions (I bought from him several coins within the last two years) and there have been other fakes in his aucitons I did not know or  I was too lazy to notify him and they have been withdrawn, too and never have been relisted again. Again if he honestly thinks that some fakes are authentic he will sell them as authentic, except he is notified and the notifier has good evidence that they are fake and he is human and can be very rarely but he can be ignorant too.
But others (auction houses and dealers) do sometimes the same, they sell coins which they think, that they are authentic and sometimes they think that they are authentic even if they have been notified that they are fake, because they are still thinking that they are authentic, why they do so I often can not understand especially if the evidences for them being fake are very strong.
It is of course a serious problem and annoying if dealers or experts of auction houses are igonrant and not withdrawing fakes after being notified  but I would never think or pretend that they do this intentionally , I always think they do this due to less knowledge and experience concerning fake or incompetence.  

Again NFS list if for criminals who sell intentionally fakes, if someone honestly thinks that some fakes are authentic he is maybe an ignorant or incompetent but not a criminal who is knowingly and intentionally selling fakes.
And I think that it is a fact Lanz has almost always withdrawn fakes in the past after being notified and that he did not relisted them anywhere (exception Minos where the coin has been relisted, I assume he thought it is authentic and so resold it and maybe other cases of which I do not know).You can find some fakes withdrawn by Lanz which have not been relisted for example in fake reports and forgerynetwork and some forums.

Offline Minos

• Caesar
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2021, 06:08:26 pm »
@Din X The coin that I've returned (and that he later resold) was condemned by Barry Murphy (amongst others) and is widely recognized as a forgery (several others popped out since then). If he believed when he sold it back 4 years later that it was genuine (I doubt it), he's not the expert that he claims to be. If he's not worthy of the NFSL, given all the acknowledged fakes, tooled coins and highly doubtful material he's been selling these past years, no one is imo...

Offline Din X

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2021, 06:40:12 pm »
@Din X The coin that I've returned (and that he later resold) was condemned by Barry Murphy (amongst others) and is widely recognized as a forgery (several others popped out since then). If he believed when he sold it back 4 years later that it was genuine (I doubt it), he's not the expert that he claims to be. If he's not worthy of the NFSL, given all the acknowledged fakes, tooled coins and highly doubtful material he's been selling these past years, no one is imo...

I think he did the real auctions himself.
I assume that he possibly did not even knew that it has been relisted on ebay because ebay listings are most likely been done buy employees and they are missing too many fakes sadly the last years :(
If the coin was fake and he was notifeid that it is fake including evidence that it must be fake, then the coin must be withdrawn and not relisted (this needn´t to be discussed because humans can make mistakes some make more some less).
But again if you write NGC or Barry Murphy think coin is fake without mentioning why, many will possibly not withdraw the coin, if your name is Max Mustermann or Mr xyz and you have persuading evidence that the coin is fake most will most likely withdraw the coin.
Some care more for convincing evidence than for names and this is my fortune if not I would nt have been able to get any fake withdrawn, I have no fames name but presuading evidence if it comes to fakes.
If the coin was really fake and he has been norified with good explanation why it is fake, he of course should not have relisted it after it has been withdrawn but we do not really know if he knew that it was relisted.

NFSL is for criminals who are selling intentionally fakes, you what to say he is doing this intentionally?
Even if you notify dealers or auction houses about a fake it needn´t mean that they are really convinced by the arguments and so they can still honestly think the coins are authentic.
And even if a mistake was made in Minos case we have to think how many coins he is selling and that if you sell so much much can go wrong and humans make mistakes but he has withdrawn almost all fakes in the past after being notified and never realisted them, this should be prove enough that he is not doing it intentionally.

Offline Dominic T

• Caesar
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2021, 07:28:04 pm »
I am Amantia...
Who is "lolli", what the f. are you talking about ?

Get some help "Daniel", please get some help.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2021, 08:41:36 pm »
A couple of thoughts...

I deleted a couple of posts. Let stick to the number 1 rule, BE NICE.

I really don't care if Lanz is or is not personally looking at the coins. We are evaluating an eBay store, not a man.

I actually just looked at this store for the first time in many many years. They have over 250,000 feedbacks!!!  That takes selling a whole lot of coins. There is no way anyone could sell that many coins without fakes slipping past.

If they withdraw coins when given good evidence a coin is fake, they are probably not a notorious fraud.

I have received emails and messages from people over the years telling me coins were fake that were utter nonsense. I am sure Lanz get many of them. You cannot expect a dealer to withdraw a coin every time someone he does not know says it is fake.

I have sold coins that Barry Murphy said were fake. He can be wrong. And in this case he was. I was sure they were good and sent them to Sear, who also said they were good. By the way, Barry only saw the photos.

It is possible to sell a coin that is an obvious fake or even one they was previously withdrawn due to a simple or careless mistake. That still is not proof of fraud.

Right now, I am leaning against adding them to the NFSL.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Dominic T

• Caesar
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2021, 09:07:46 pm »
This one is a tough call. I myself noticed him about fake coins in the past with the NGC references, but I know he doesn't trust this firm at all. Maybe he would have react differently with another third party ? It's also possible that his staff is playing a role in the "mistakes". Anyway the purpose here was to warn collectors to be very careful: know the coin or know the DEALER... I fully trust your judgment on this decision Joe.
DT

Offline glebe

• Caesar
    • Glebe Coins
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2021, 11:03:33 pm »
Perhaps what is needed here is a "psdc" list - persistent seller of doubtful coins - particularly returned doubtful coins.

Although is Lanz any worse than other high volume sellers in this regard?

Ross G.

Offline Minos

• Caesar
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2021, 11:05:12 pm »
Joe, just had a quick look at coryssa.org for his past sales (I usually keep away from his listings). What do you think of his early/larger imperial AEs ? A good number of them seems to be tooled at various degrees imo (usually described as lightly smoothed, at best)...

https://www.coryssa.org/index.php/subcategory/view/page/0/period/roman_emperor/country/lanz/list_order/date/list_order_dir/desc

Offline Din X

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2021, 02:37:32 am »
Dominic T in internet everyone can write anything and it is full of fake news and wrong information.
If you trust everything written in interent you need some serious help^^
I can create accounts on different forums with nick Dominic T and pretending I am you, will I be you or a troll or someone who is doing this out of whatever reason?
And you can of course look in text for often used words or mistakes and phrases copying them to make it harder to detect.^^
And using all infomation and material about him available in internet.
But here is the point this guy/or woman how plays me can not have any pictures or information about me which I have not posted already at some boards, because he she it is not me.
I have posted all my fakes and pictures of fake dies to different boards and members who asked for them and even my real coin collection is available at on board, so this can be used by anyone.
I picture of one of my coins or fakes, which I never posted somewhere and never gave to anywhere and which can not be found anywhere in internet but which belongs to me would be a problem, this is not the case here because I am not this guy/woman.
Next point IP address my posts here and on other boards is a German IP address, which you can be traced with geotrace ip to an area in Germany this other guy/woman can not have an IP address from this area in Germany.
Why should someone do this, maybe he / she is bored and has too much time or thinks this could be fun, some teenagers like trolling.
There is no evidence that is connecting me with this guy "lolli" He can not have any thing from me not freely available in internet and he must have different IP Address because it is not me.
I really think this could be fun to pretned I am you, but I am not sure if it will work if I will tell that I will do so because members here are active on different boards and I am too old for this and my time to precious but still it sounds like fun and I would possibly have done as teenager.
And I would never post my real name here because some some dealers / auction houses and fake sellers are not happy about what I am doing!

"Anyway the purpose here was to warn collectors to be very careful"

I think that they are enough post about him everywhere, so people know that you should be cautious when buying from them due to the already mentioned problems.
It is totally legitimate if Lanz is doing something wrong that this will be mentioned and people will be made aware of problems to protect them but others especially power sellers and some dealers and auction houses are making sometimes mistakes too and so they have have unsatisfied customers too.
I had some bad experiences too with auction houses and dealers I think if you buy enough from different sources this can not be completely avoided but their number is very low in relation to the deals I was satisfied.
Satisfied customers or customers that thought that everything was ok, generally do not write that they are satisfied or that everything was ok, Joe who I assume has only satisfied and very satisfied customers had to start even a thread "Submit a BBB Review of Forum".
And very happy customers are writing sometimes reviews or good evaluations too but I think only a low amount of them.
But not satisfied and angry customers will of course rather try to find a way to tell that they are not satisfied and to warn others and they will scream the loudest.
But we then have to realize that this not satisfied customers may be screaming the loudest but are not representative for the majority of the customers who are satisfied but too lazy or not satisfied enough to spend time to write positve reviews/comments.
In Germany we use to say who doesn´t work is doing no mistakes but who works much will make many mistakes.
I assume that almost all unsatisfied customers of Lanz have good reasons to be angry but there are always some customers which are problem customers which you can not satisfy.

Offline dwarf

• Consul
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2021, 02:57:19 am »
Should [NAMES REMOVED BY ADMIN] had sold 30 to 50 blatant fakes this year their account would have been posted as NFSL in no time.
The situation here seems different, as the percentage of fakes is low compared to all coins sold, coins are taken back without discussion, and Lanz undoubtedly has his merits.
Luckily the decision is not for me  ???

As to those distrustful recut and murdered sestertii:
Sometimes we just called coins like this "lanzed" or "hirsched" in Germany
But nowadays you find them for better and for worse in a lot of auctions of "respectful" companies.

Have a nice Sunday - it is getting warm over here today  :laugh:

Klaus

Just for the admin:
The names of the ebay-sellers, which were removed, were no real names:
There is no German "Max Mustermann"

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2021, 09:31:26 am »
Any time I have contacted Lanz about a fake in my area of specialty the coin has been withdrawn, which is only 3 or 4 times over many years.  I’ve seen the same style fake slip through more than once, but it is difficult to spot if you’re not a specialist or not consulting the various fake reports for every coin. I think Joe brings up good points about the volume of coins he processes on his eBay store. I would not add him.

Offline Minos

• Caesar
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2021, 04:47:33 pm »
What's the consensus, if there's any, regarding his legionary denarii ? These have been discussed for years now, and he must have sold well over a 100 in the past year only (often for an hefty price)...

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Qvod perierat adhvc exstat nvmmorvm
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2021, 07:51:41 pm »
What's the consensus, if there's any, regarding his legionary denarii ? These have been discussed for years now, and he must have sold well over a 100 in the past year only (often for an hefty price)...

Based on the ones he has listed in the recent past and some of the ones he has listed now, in my personal opinion, I do not think they are legitimate and I would not buy one.  Your views may differ, but a quick forum search will bring up the thread discussing these, and most people seem to think they are mostly fakes.

FWIW, legionary denarri of Mark Antony in VF or better grades are exceptionally rare when legitimate, as the coins circulated over 200 years before they were demonetized.  Most real ones have significant circulation wear, and un-worn copies don't show up in a lot of hoards for whatever reason.  It's highly suspicious all the lanz coins are about in the same un-worn condition and have few (no?) correlation to dies from known good coins.
My Ancient Coin Gallery: Click here

R. Cormier, Ottawa

All coins are guaranteed for eternity