Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Oil Lamp ID  (Read 2703 times)

Offline Russ

• Consul
Oil Lamp ID
« on: February 13, 2013, 07:52:19 pm »
Dear Friends,

I have only one oil lamp in my collection and this is it. If I had to guess, I would say Roman, first century A.D. Can anyone tell me anything about it?
     Thanks.
Russ

Strobilus

Re: Oil Lamp ID
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 06:22:15 pm »
You do not mention size (a useful factor in attribution) but the fabric suggests an origin in the Central Mediterranean (Italy or Tunisia), mid to late 1st Century AD. The motif on the discus is a theatre mask.

A lamp of similar type is shown here: http://www.romulus2.com/lamps/database/lamp.php?172

Offline Russ

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2013, 02:30:47 pm »
Hi Strobilus,

Thanks you very much for your response. You really pinned it down. Just as soon as I can get my hands on it, I will send you the dimensions. Thanks again.

Russ

Offline Russ

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2013, 04:25:37 pm »
Hi Strobilus,

Here are the dimensions: length: 9.1 cm, width: 6.5 cm, thickness 2.25 cm; weight 41.11 g. Sorry for not including this info the first time around. The back/bottom looks very similar to the example you provided.
     Thanks again.
Russ

Strobilus

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2013, 12:32:03 pm »
Thanks, Russ. The dimensions you provided tend to support my first tentative attribution.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity