Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Questions on a Mattathais eight  (Read 1343 times)

Offline 77HK77

• Caesar
Questions on a Mattathais eight
« on: March 03, 2014, 04:54:16 pm »
I recently picked up the attached Mattathias Antigonus AE24 and although I've handle a lot of the smaller coins I have only had a few of the 8's in my hand. I received this coin from a dealer who is considered an expert on Judaean coins, so I running on the assumption it is authentic.

My question is on the edge, specifically the sprue point.
The coin has the required beveled edge, the mold was a little off, but the seam runs right through the sprue point. Which made me pause and consider the coin a little closer.

Two photos below the eight I just received and a four prutahs AE from my collection. The four shows what I think the sprue area should look like.

Could the eight be a modern cast?

Offline Aarmale

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
  • Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
Re: Questions on a Mattathais eight
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2014, 05:21:25 pm »
Stylistically, there is nothing that makes me doubt the authenticity of this piece.
Gallery: http://tinyurl.com/aarmale
היינו דאמרי אינשי: טבא חדא פילפלתא חריפתא ממלי צנא קרי

Offline 77HK77

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2014, 08:50:49 am »
I agree the style is correct

But struggle with the technical execution at the sprue.

The sides of the sprue shown match the bezel angle which would not happen unless the sprue was cleaned up after separation.
Was it a practice on the 8's to clean up the sprue?

Looking closely the angled edges of the sprue they seem gouged,deeper and wider grooves than mondern filing would produce.

Offline Aarmale

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
  • Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2014, 12:54:20 pm »
I am not sure I understand your concern.  It should be emphasized that these flans were often made and cut sloppily, so it is not uncommon to find wide ranges of variation regarding many factors.

This coin unlike any fakes I have ever seen of this type.
Gallery: http://tinyurl.com/aarmale
היינו דאמרי אינשי: טבא חדא פילפלתא חריפתא ממלי צנא קרי

Offline 77HK77

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2014, 04:21:02 pm »
I have not found a lot of material reviewing how the variations of construction and strike on Mattahias coins result in what we see today.

In handling the smaller coins I’ve noticed they appear to be cut from one side sticking out a little and leaving an odd angle – see the 4 prutah left
This 8 prutahs – on right- has angles on both sides similar to the beveled edge, which can only occur if the cut is cleaned up after separation.

Is there a known standard practice of cleaning the chop point in the production of these coins?

All coins are guaranteed for eternity